Chapter 49

I'm spoiling you guys with early updates? Lol, I can't help it. I love you too much not to. Kindly vote by clicking on the ⭐ button below your screen, share and comment your thoughts. I love reading them :-) ❤❤❤

Kara’s POV

Lucas Jamil Davensworth

          Born - August 28 1990

          Died - December 30 2018

Written on his tomb: ~A lover, brother, friend, son, grandson and great grandson. Survived by fifty two family members.~

“Adrian.” I crouched down to wrap my arms around her. She stiffened, as if frightened but finally relaxed.

“N-no.” Her shoulders heaved as if she was going to shrug me off but thankfully, she didn’t.

“Please honey, it’s time to leave. Please.”

“No Kara. I don’t want to leave yet.”

“You’ve been sitting on the ground here for hours even though the funeral is over. Even his family members have gone home and his mom called me an hour ago that they landed safely.” She looked up at me with tears streaming down her cheeks and nose blotchy.

“Why did they have to bury him so early? They could’ve waited till New Year. It’s just tomorrow.” She croaked, not paying mind to the snot that was running down her nose.

Immediately his family was contacted this morning, those close by — his mom and two of his brothers — came over and buried him, comforting Adrian but also sticking to their decision. His father, other brother, sister and friends were at Philippines and his burial rites, according to their family tradition couldn't be held back for a whole day to await their arrival.

Those that came didn’t argue or show contempt when I explained what happened to Lucas, because Adrian herself couldn’t say a word to them. Instead, his mother hugged Adrian and cried, saying she knew it would be like that, that they had been dreading it for years. He’d had the brain tumor operation twice before when he was much younger and they thought it was gone for good. Only to surface ten years after. The news broke my heart as I listened to the family slowly observe minutes of silence before deciding to bury him two hours after they got here.

“He died young and that’s their family tradition.” I explained glumly. Adrian didn’t hide the contempt she felt at the family’s so-called tradition, gripping tightly onto Lucas’s body before the casket was shut and commanding him to come back to her and give her the life he promised, the life with him in it. Them, together. She even smiled and told him she loved him. All he had to do was come back into her arms. He didn’t.

“Well, fuck their family tradition.” She gritted.

I huffed and looked around at the quiet burial ground, feeling a bit freaked out at the fact that we were alone here. I had told Stephano to concentrate on his work and not come to pick us later on.

He wanted to be sure we were safe and I appreciated the fact that he was being extra caring. Maybe he thought Adrian would grip onto the wheel when I was driving and scream that she wanted to go and meet Lucas wherever he was?

Yes, I was fine and Adrian needed me with her right now, which I explained to him. I needed my total concentration on her. I wouldn’t be selfish. And thankfully he understood immediately.

“You’re coming home with me. I can’t leave you alone right now.”

She nodded and looked around, caressing the flower she had been holding. It was wrinkled and already turned green-brown because she had been holding onto it for so long. I helped her up but with a little struggle.