Chapter 9

<<<Alexandra Black>>>

I once told myself I would never return to 12 Grimmauld Place. Never did I imagine I would be standing on its doorstep, staring at the dark, looming building at midnight with a young, Auror in training. 

After my children and Remus returned to school, Tonks started to suggest ways to find or investigate Sirius to occupy my time. Although I knew of Sirius' hatred for his family and the family home, Tonks insisted we break in. She seemed certain Sirius might hide in the abandoned building or that he might have left evidence from his conspiring with You-Know-Who. I felt as if the trip would be a dead end, however, I loved the thought of another adventure with the daring witch.

As we stood on the doorstep, I couldn't help but roll my eyes at Tonks' appearance. We were planning on breaking and entering, but she decided to wear a bright yellow Hufflepuff sweater and morphed her hair into a fiery red shade. She was the epitome of conspicuous.

"I hope we can easily get in," I explained. "The door was always charmed to allow members of the Black family in. But your mother was blasted off the family tree and my husband is a blood-traitor so I guess we will find out."

"Anyone from the family?" Tonks mused. "So our lovely cousin Bellatrix or the Malfoys could enter as well?"

"Let's just hope Bellatrix doesn't escape Azkaban next and that the Malfoys are staying in their uppity manor for the night."

Together, Tonks and I tapped our wands on the ancient door. A loud click was heard and the whole building seemed to relax. Shocked, I set my hand on the snake-ornamented door handle and opened the door, revealing a dusty and dark entryway. My heartbeat picked up when I saw a clear set of footprints in dust covering the floor of the abandoned home. Someone had been in the building recently. I didn't feel ready to find out if Tonks' suspicions were correct.

"Lumos," I whispered. My wand lit up the once elegant hallway.

Tonks closed the door and walked wordlessly beside me. She turned her nose up at the distasteful decorations. Walburga was obsessed with blood purity and loved adding the family motto, 'toujours pur,' to every portrait and object. I couldn't look at some of the paintings detailing Muggle cruelty and Pureblood rule. Surely, the pieces were worth many Galleons, but I wanted nothing more than to burn them all. I put a finger to my lips as we passed by Walburga's own portrait. The curtains were drawn tight, my mother-in-law's likelihood presumably asleep.

Somehow, I remembered the entire layout of the building. Tonks and I quietly searched each room, anxiously waiting for a sign of life. Every room seemed to be holding its breath, undoubtedly hiding years of family secrets. Still, we found no evidence of Sirius' return to 12 Grimmauld Place. Finally, we reached the fourth floor, and my breath hitched. I whispered to Tonks to search the rest of the floor while I approached Sirius' bedroom. My hand lingered on the gold placard labeled 'Sirius.' I took a deep breath and opened the door.

"Alexandra, I've been expecting you."

I was rooted to the floor at his voice. Paralyzed with fear, my wand lit up his expressions in a grim way. He was thin and his features were gaunt. His grey eyes were unforgiving and full of hate. He took a step towards me, his wand outstretched. Sirius Black looked nothing like the man I married.

"Sirius!" I squeaked. He continued to approach; his mouth curled in a grim snarl. "Please, it's me, your wife! This isn't you!"

"Alexandra, this has always been me," he whispered. His chilling voice seemed to freeze my blood. "It is time for me to finish the duty the Dark Lord assigned to me. I killed James Potter! I killed Peter Pettigrew! Now, I will kill you and Remus, and I will have eliminated the Marauders once and for all!"