Chapter 11

<<<Alexandra Black>>>

As much as I wanted to see my children, I didn't reach out to them when I arrived at Hogwarts. Instead, I stayed hidden in Remus' office, focused on the task at hand.

I was a wreck, longing for the truth about Sirius, Peter, and the Potters. At night, I scoured the grounds in my Animagus form, sniffing all around Hagrid's hut, where I knew Peter must be hiding as a rat thanks to the map. Still, I never found the sneaky man. During the day, I drove myself mad searching the map for any sign of Sirius. Remus and I conspired about what Peter's life meant and how history truly played out. I couldn't think on our theories or the implications. Some of them seemed too good to be true. I refused to assume anything until I heard the words directly from Sirius' mouth.

Finally, when I was just starting to nod off while sitting in Remus' office chair, he awoke me.

"Lexi!" Remus yelped. I jumped at the sound, sending papers flying off his desk. "Look."

Remus tapped the map with his wand. I leaned over and suddenly felt reenergized. Peter Pettigrew was on the move! 

"Remus, we can't just stand here!" I exclaimed. "He's with Harry."

My godson's name appeared right beside Peter's, along with Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley. 

"And do what?" Remus asked. "Frighten the children? What if we are wrong? We can't just kidnap their 'pet' rat! What if Peter has just been in hiding because he is afraid of Sirius, who truthfully tried to murder him as everyone thinks?"

"Oh, but Remus, what if we are right?"

My heart fluttered in my chest. Suddenly, Remus cried out. He threw the map down as if it were searing hot.

"We need to go, now! He's heading for Harry!"

I only caught a glimpse of the name 'Sirius Black' on the map before Remus started to rush out of the office. I felt like I was going to be sick. I hadn't felt this close to seeing Sirius in years. As we frantically left the office, I didn't think for one moment about the wolfsbane potion we left sitting on Remus' desk.

The sun was starting to set as we fled the castle. Remus clutched my hand. I felt like I was running through a dream, a million thoughts swirled through my head, and I still felt sick to my stomach. We reached the Whomping Willow, and Remus dropped my hand, waiting for me to shift to my Animagus form so I could stop the tree from crushing him.

"I'm not ready to see him again," I whispered breathlessly. The Whomping Willow quaked, daring us to step forward to the secret passage.

"You don't have to be," Remus hissed, and held me at an arm's length. I could see the courage in his bloodshot, green eyes. "This isn't about your twisted love story, Lexi! This is about saving Harry! No matter what the truth is about that Halloween night, Harry is currently stuck in the shack with a murderer- the same spy who killed his parents! What would Lily want you to do?"

With a simple nod, I started to shrink to the ground, becoming my lithe, black fox Animagus. In a quick dart, I reached the trunk of the tree and pressed the knot with my paw. The Whomping Willow froze, and Remus followed me into the passage. Wordlessly, we travelled the familiar tunnel until we reached its end. I could hear the yelling of a young girl. I shifted out of my Animagus form and gripped Remus' hand for dear life. Every fiber of my being seemed to shake as Remus shoved the door open.

"Expelliarmus!" Remus shouted.

Wands flew through the air, rendering Harry and Hermione defenseless. Hiding behind Remus' tall shoulder, I peeked in the room, soaking in the scene. The three Hogwarts students stood on one side of the room, protecting an injured Ron. On the other side of the room... I froze.