Chapter 12

<<<Alexandra Black>>>

I recognized James' Invisibility Cloak as it was cast to the floor at Snape's feet.

"I found this at the base of the Whomping Willow," Snape sighed. "Very useful Potter, I thank you..."

"That's a sentence I thought I'd never hear you say," I hissed. "Some cordiality towards a Potter."

Snape eyed me with cold eyes. He stiffened at my words.

"Alexandra, it's always a pleasure to see you," said Snape. "I still can't figure out where your son inherited his most impressive qualities, considering his unfortunate heritage."

Snape regarded Sirius and me with a sneer. Sirius' body stiffened beneath my touch. I realized, in shame, I still had not told him about Regulus.

"How did you find us, Snivellus?" I spat. Snape's triumphant facade seemed to falter at his old nickname. He pointed his wand squarely at my chest. Sirius let out a warning growl.

"You're not as cunning as you think," Snape replied. "I went to your office, Lupin, to make sure you safely took your potion tonight. I found the goblet forgotten on your desk next to a certain map where I saw a few of my old Hogwarts chums running down this passageway."

"Severus," Remus cut in, but Snape continued to talk. He icily stared at me.

"I should have known you would be the one to let Black into the castle. I never understood why Dumbledore trusted you, Alexandra. You were always following Black to the ends of the earth, no matter how many people you had to cut down along the way. I can't wait to watch the two of you reunite and rot in Azkaban together!"

"You fool," said Remus. "Is a schoolboy grudge worth putting an innocent man and woman in Azkaban?"

Suddenly, Snape snapped and cast a binding spell on Remus, sending cords around his legs, arms, and mouth. I cried out in anger. Before I could reach my wand, Snape turned to me, his wand directly between my eyes. Sirius watched with alarm.

"Not so brave when it's her life on the line, are you Black?" Snape whispered his taunt. I stood completely still, not daring to move or breathe. 

"Snape," I said in a quiet voice, "please, I'm begging you. I'm a mother. My children shouldn't be orphaned. You couldn't live with yourself if you went through with this."

"You'd be surprised what I would be capable of. What I would love to put Sirius Black through. What I wouldn't give, to watch him sob over the love of his life's body, see the looks on his orphaned children's faces, and then go back to Azkaban, right where he belongs."

Snape's wand pressed into my forehead. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

"But perhaps you are right, Alexandra."

My eyes snapped open.

"I don't want that murder on my hands. However, once I deliver Black to the Dementors, I am certain a Kiss will be in order. Perhaps they will have one for the traitor's wife as well."

My blood ran cold even at the thought.

"Please, Snape, if you will just take the rat to Dumbledore, we can end this all tonight-"

"SILENCE!" Snape boomed. His wand dug into my scalp. A pale hand caressed my cheek and I could feel Sirius poised to lunge my attacker. "But you are correct. This will end tonight. After all of your years of torment, I will finally get revenge on you three for all the terrors you caused me! I only wish Potter were here to see it-"