thirty one

four months later
houston, texas | ncaa track & field championship

---------

Nia Cartier out of Stanford is back on the track after rupturing her achilles about a year and a half ago. She said after personal issues, she decided to just take her time rehabbing. She wanted to return a better athlete and a better woman.

Yea, my only concern is that she won't return the same Nia she was when she broke the world record in the olympics three years ago. Her injury could have been career ending. The fact that she's even back is a miracle.

Despite being out, though, she is still the fastest woman by far. No one has come close to her record. As a junior, it's time to make her mark on the collegiate level.

Nia says she's in the best shape in her life so we'll see how she comes out today.

Her high school rival, Shanice Howard out of Florida has been dominating and she currently holds the fastest time this year. My bet is on Shanice.

Being back on the track was surreal. I had to be honest with myself, I never thought I'd see this day. After tearing my achilles, I wanted to quit.

I thought my career was over.

It didn't help that I wasn't stable emotionally and mentally. Things compounded on one another.

But, I was back and while there were people questioning my ability, I felt that I was better than I was before I got injured.

I looked up in the stands to see my family and Jace waving at me. I smiled and sent a kiss in their direction.

While I was glad my family was here, I was even more happy that Jace could make it.

He smiled and blew his own kiss back. He'd been going through the stages of grief since losing his mom about a month ago.

He was taking it as well as I would have hoped. Jace had his days and nights, but I made sure to be there through it all.

I loved where we stood in our relationship. The only thing I hadn't seen was Shiloh. I'm not sure if he'd crossed over or what. Maybe that was a sign that he did.

"I'm happy that you're back, but you're not beating me." Shanice said causing me to look at her.

She held a cocky smirk on her face, but I was definitely about to wipe it off. "You're talking a lot for a person whose never beaten me.

Shanice rolled her eyes and I just laughed.

Men lie, women lie, numbers do not. Everyone considered her to be my rival, but I didn't. She has never beaten me. And she never will.

She was merely another runner on the track.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes to say a prayer to myself. After reopening my eyes, I stretched a bit to get loose.

I was running my favorite race: the 100m. It was my specialty and I was trying to prove to my coach that I was healthy enough to anchor the relay.

She wanted to see how well I ran in this race, first.

I was home. It felt good.

It was warm, though. Houston's heat made me feel sticky and suffocated.

I said a quick prayer before walking over to the starter blocks. My heart was pumping out of my chest.

The stadium got quiet as we prepared to race. I got into my stance, rocking side to side. I blocked out everything and focused.

Everything I've went through has prepared me for this moment.

It was silent for about three seconds then it was on. I bolted down the track like the Olympic champion I was at the start gun.

I kept my head down then slowly raised it. Out the corner of my eye, I could see Shanice running stride for stride.

As I fully raised my head up, I accelerated and took the lead. After that, the race was mine. I'd won easily as I crossed the finish line. Not before I quickly glanced back at Shanice, however.

I had to let her know that she was still not on my level.

I slowed down, and looked up at the jumbotron to see that I broke the collegiate record.

Wow! What a comeback for Nia Cartier!!

She now holds the Olympic record and the NCAA record.

9.98 is the official time! Wow! She blew the record out the water!

We're looking at the fastest woman of all time. Her coach is definitely going to let her anchor the relays.

Nia has to feel amazing right now.

I kneeled down and covered my face as I cried. The emotions were taking over me. I could feel my teammates hovering over me, congratulating me.

But, I just needed a moment to myself.

After I got myself together, I got up and ran over to where my family was sitting. I immediately gave my Mom, my Dad, and Papa a hug.

Then I hugged my siblings and left the best for last, Jace.

"I'm so proud of you baby." He congratulated me, placing a kiss on my lips.

This was euphoria.

I was on top of the world. When I pulled away, I began to walk back to where the team was. I declined to do any interviews until after I was done with all my races.

I didn't want to talk to the people who'd doubted me anyways.

In the distance, I saw a figure that I'd recognized. It was Shiloh leaning on one of the tables. He had the biggest smile on his face and he nodded his head.

"You did it." I read his lips. He blew a kiss at me and he said something else. "I'm going home."

I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding. I'd finally gotten my answer.

He was now crossing over and that meant that I was in a space that I had never been before.

And damn, it felt so good.