ten

•••

•••

ALEXA WOKE UP wrapped in her bedsheets and bucky's oversized hoodie. she noticed it was five-fourty five, and everyone was probably still sleeping.

"miss micheals, sergeant barnes requested you, he seems to be having a panic attack. he's in his room."

alexa never sprinted out of her room so fast. she knocked quickly before opening the door, seeing bucky in a way she's never seen him before. he was in a fetal position on his bed, his hands pulling at his hair and his shaking figure. she quickly stepped inside and shut the door.

"hey hey hey, james." she said softly, sitting infront of him on his bed. he allowed her to remove his hands from his long locks, him breathing heavily and tears rushing down his face.

"james, i need you to take a deep breath for me please." her soothing voice somehow bringing him back to reality. her hand was running through his hair, and her other hand held his prosthetic hand. "just listen to my voice. i'm right here. i'm not leaving you."

she heard him take a deep inhale, held it, then exhaled.

"you're doing great buck, you're okay, you'll be okay." her hand went down from his hair to rubbing his back. when bucky stopped shaking and the tears stopped flowing, he looked up from his hands to meet alexa's concerned eyes. her free hand wiped the tears off his cheeks softly, seeing him tense up at the sudden contact, then relaxed.

"what happened buck?" she asked softly, bucky responding by having his arms wrap around her middle and head buried into the crook of her neck.

"t-they we're back. th-they had the book and i-i almost," he stopped, unable to finish the sentence. alexa pulled back to meet his eyes, seeing the tears in his blue irises again.

"almost what? what did they make you do james?" she asked, her getting a bit mad at all the trauma hydra caused him.

"i almost killed you." he heard her breath hitched, but she started to feel a lump in her throat and her eyes getting glossy.

"i wouldn't let you kill me. recognitive calibration. a good hit to the head will do you good." she tried to lighten the mood, heading him chuckle softly.

"in all seriousness, they'd never get you. i'd never let them get you. you're safe here, with us. i promise james. if anything did ever happen. if they did get you again and i could have stopped it, i dont think i could live with myself." she told him softly, blinking away her tears.

"promise?" he asked quietly, as if he was embarrassed. alexa met his eyes, never seeing him this vulnerable. the nightmares were bad, but he's never woken up this bad before to her knowledge.