(27): Official Friendship

"Hey, what's wrong, lady?" Josie asks when I walk into the house head down with my shoes in my hands.

The car ride back with Jake was kind of awkward. He did say his final goodbye though saying he doubts he'll get a chance to see me tomorrow before I leave.

I think he was lying.

"Oh, hi" I greet softly.

"Are you okay? You look down" She observes, attempting to stand but failing miserably because of her large belly. I can't help but laugh a little and she scowls jokingly at me.

I decide to walk over the couch next to her since I'm too tired to walk up those stairs anyways "Yeah, I'm fine"

"Yes, and I'm not pregnant"

Really?

"It's just... do you really care or are you just asking me so you can get into dad's good books?" I can't help but bite back.

I might as well confront her.

Since apparently everyone wants to get something off their chest.

She gasps with a hurt expression "I guess I deserved that. I know I haven't been the ideal step-mother to you and I really apologize"

"Why did you treat me like that, Josie?"

"I was a different person back then" She says softly, tears welling up in her eyes "I was... jealous, insecure. I don't know and I just took it out on you"

I sigh "But why?"

"I don't know, Chelsea, I really don't" A single tear falls from her face "I can't tell you how much I regret it. I could see your father being affected so badly by your absence. But he thought that's what you wanted"

This is actually the first time she's ever referred to him as 'your father' and not 'Lewis'. I think she used to do that on purpose.

"But it wasn't" At this point we're both crying.

"We know that now. We're so glad you're here. So freaking happy. I know I am" She smiles whipping both our tears "This little girl in my stomach is going to love you so much. As much as Chris loves you. And she's going to be as beautiful and kind as you are"

"Josie" I sob-laugh "Thats really sweet"

"It's true, Chelsea. I'm really sorry about everything. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me one day"

I smile softly "Definitely"

I don't want to lie to her and say I forgive her now because I don't think I do just yet.

We hug for quite a long time.

"So do you wanna tell me why you were upset when you got in?" She asks when we pull away.

"Uhm, Jacob kind of told me he's been in love with me for nine years and I wasn't exactly overjoyed with the news"

She smiles joyfully "See? I told you"

So she missed the second part, after 'and'.

"I thought it was just a silly crush" I defend "I didn't know he was in love with me"

"Chelsea, seriously? Even a blind man could see it" She laughs at me "What'd you say?"

"Just that we should stay friends"

"Why? I thought you didn't have a boyfriend" She says confused.

"I don't need to have one. I just don't think I feel the same way he does" I say "I'll admit that I did like him back then but a lot has changed since then"