Chapter Twenty-Eight

Leon carried Iris to the alleyway. Believing that he have lost their pursuers. He was forced to land at a dead end. With nowhere to go, all he could do was wait for Levi and the others to find them. He carried Iris in his arms and went on foot, running through the dark alleyways, hoping that he outsmarted the enemy.

"Shit, this is bad..." he said. He looked up to her and saw her drowsy eyes. "Hey, wake up. Hey!"

When he went to a turn, he came face to face with three hooded figures. Out of panic, Leon launched his ODM Gear up to the roofs, but when he got above, he was met by a man aiming his riffle at his face –

Leon woke up in a gasp. He found himself in a dark place with dim light. He looked around, hoping that he wasn't captured.

"Leon, your alive!" Connie came with a grin on his face. "You scared the shit out of us, we thought you were dead! Jean, Leon's awake!"

Soon, Jean came with Sasha, all relieved to find him alive. But he was far from the same reaction as them, he knew that he failed.

"How is he?" He heard Levi's voice.

"Captain, he just woke." Connie said.

"Good." Levi squatted down to meet Leon's eye, but Leon couldn't bare to look at him. "Hey."

"Captain, I'm –" Leon froze when he noticed something different. He wasn't sure what it was, but the other side of his vision were black. He reached up his hand to check why, but when he was about to touch his eye, he felt a bandage covering it. "What... what happened?"

"Captain, Mikasa and Armin are back." Sasha said.

"Can you stand?" Levi asked Leon.

"Captain, I'm... I'm sorry –"

"We'll talk once everyone's gathered." Levi said. "It's time that they know."

Leon was assisted by Connie and Jean to get on his feet, he was having a hard time seeing since his right eye was gone. He was let to sit on a crate beside Levi, and was handed some food. They were quiet at first, all comprehending what happened. He couldn't find it in him to take a bite from his food, his mind was going on and on about Iris.

"Armin, all this thrill filled your appetite?" Levi spoke.

"No..." Armin said. "Jean, there's something I can't understand..."

"What's that?" Jean asked.

"When I turned around and save you. That woman already had you at gun point... why is it... how come I pulled the shot before she did?"

"I don't know." Jean said, looking away in shame.

"You shot first because you hesitated." Levi said. "It's simple."

"I'm sorry, Armin, you wouldn't have to save me if I just done my job." Said Jean.

"The woman that I shot back there, I bet she was a really kind person... she must've have a lot of human in her than I ever did. I pulled that trigger so easily, without a thought... I'm..."

"A killer, now that your heads are soaked with blood, the person you once were is gone for good." Levi spoke.

"Why would you say that?!" Mikasa said.

"And you shouldn't regret it for one second, because if you have chosen to keep your hands clean, then Jean would be a corpse on a cart right now... I'll tell you why you pulled the trigger, it's because your comrade was about to die. Everyone in our squad is alive right now because you chose to get blood on your hands. Thank you." Levi said.