~9~

FAY

     My heart pounded against my chest as I stood with shaky legs in front of the Chesterfield mansion. I knew my mother was in there, I knew her wife, Sarah, came along... My eyes met with their couple car, packed amongst the other cars around.

I decided to keep my hair straight today. I needed that straight hair confidence.

I was putting on a white designer gown  that reached my knee, with no color heels. My red purse was held tightly in my hand as I tried to calm my nervousness.

I felt a presence beside me. Already knowing it was Elroy.

"The brunch is happening inside, you know..." He said, I could hear the amusement in his voice.

"I know." I muttered as my grip tightened around my purse.

He moved to stand behind me as both of his hands touched my shoulders, massaging them in attempts to calm my nerves, but my pulse only increased in pace. Shivers ran down my spine at our closeness and the feel of his hands on my shoulders.

"You can end this now... All you just have to do is call up Yvonne and end your contract with her. If you do that, then I promise to not bring it up during the brunch." He said.

"No. I don't care what you do Elroy... I've made my decision." I said.

His hands still massaged my shoulders in a calm way. "Okay then. We could have done this the easy way but it turns out that you'd rather have everyone tear their throats out today."

I could tell that he was smiling.

"If you have any love for your grandmother at all, you'd make sure this brunch doesn't end up hurting her." I said, using his tactics over him.

He gave an evil laugh. "I do have love for my grandma, and that is why I'll make sure, nothing falls on me." He leaned closer to my ears. "There's a reason why they call me the manipulative one amongst the three." He said, giving my shoulder a light squeeze. "Now cheer up darling... It's pretend time..  and please, less touching. More talking." He added coming to stand beside me.

I shot him a hard glare. But all he did was smile. "After you, darling."

I let out a breath of frustration as I walked ahead.

"Oh, they're finally here!" Melissa's voice filled the large and spacious sitting room of the Chesterfield mansion.

I plastered a smile on my face as she came closer, engulfing me in a tight hug. "Hi Melissa!" I said, hugging her back.

When she broke the hug, she smiled lovingly at me. "Fay! As radiant as ever." She complimented.

I chuckled. "Thank you Melissa, and so are you!" I smiled at her.

Her radiant and wrinkled smile extended towards Elroy.

"Grandma." Elroy said, hugging Melissa. "I've missed you... Look how beautiful you are!"

She smiled. "Oh stop it!" She said...

"Fay?" My mother's voice cut in.