Chapter 20

Colton

It was strange having Sidney over now that we knew she was a wolf, I still wasn't sure if it was a good kind of strange or a bad kind. I could feel that part of me felt threatened and wanted to defend our land against her but more than anything she intruiged me. I wanted to know more about her and so did the rest of the pack, so Bowen had decided on another dinner to have a chance at questioning her. I was one of the lucky two to get a seat beside her while Asher took up a place on her other side, neither of us were too interested in attacking her so it was a safer set up for everyone involved. The food was dished out and we talked lightly while we ate, but as soon as the food was finished the real quizzing started. 

"So Sidney Blake, I believe you have some explaining to do." Bowen raised from his spot at the head of the table. "Great, here we go. Let me guess this is the part where you ask me about my life's story? I don't care if you know some, but I'm not going into details." She sighed out as she sent a pointed look back at our alpha, being his best friend and beta I easily caught the look of surprise he tried to hide. "Well it could be useful knowing what we're up against." I remarked gently as she glanced my way with a nod.

 "Well like I said I was orphaned at a young age, my parents were killed when I was three when defending our home from rogues. I don't remember much about them and the only reason the rogues didn't get me was because I was at the babysitters place, she was a friend of my mother's the reports said." She stated slowly as we all listened intently to her words. "If that was the case why didn't she adopt you?!" Beckett had his own feelings about the foster system, he never really spoke about what he went through in it. "Well for one, she was human and she had three kids of her own to care for, she didn't have the time or money for a wolf pup like me." Her smile is a sad and lonely one, and I get the feeling there's something else to that story she wasn't going to tell us.

                                               Beckett

How could anyone not have time for one little girl? Sure she might be a shifter toddler but she was just a baby if she was really your friends kid you wouldn't put her in the d*** system. "How long were you in the system?" My question comes out on a growl, I'm gritting my teeth to help keep control of my own temper while she shrugs back at me. "Too long. I was a little girl so they placed me into a foster home pretty quick but they bounced me around a lot considering I wasn't one to obey the rules very often." Her chuckle is dark and the flash of something in her eyes has me questioning my own time spent in that h*** hole of a life.

 I knew Gav had it easy since he was more submissive than me but she was an alpha, how would she have been treated if she fought them even more than I had? "I'm not going to go into details but I can say I don't have a single good experience from my time in those places of fear, pain and anger. I had just turned twelve when they put me in a particularly bad one, the people there accidentally found out I could shift. I had hidden it from all the others but that place was so horrible that my wolf took over to try getting me out." I'm holding my breath at her words now. I want to know more of her pain, but at the same time I'm terrified what she might say next.

 "What happened?" Gavin's voice is a soft gasp as she keeps her eyes focused on her empty plate in front of her. "It got me out of the foster system into something even worse. They sold me to some people, horrible people, they took me to a place far away from all aspects of normal civilization to some sort of bunker lab they had hidden away." Her words have my stomach dropping and I suddenly wish we hadn't just ate, because now I'm feeling sick at the possibilities of what she might say next. "I was shoved into a tiny cage and left in a darkened room alone, but I wasn't the only one there. I could here and smell other shifters and I could see the shadows of more cages around me." She says slowly and I have to stand and pace the room to help keep some of my sanity.