Chapter 14: Dead

Song is: Rascal Flatts, WHat Hurts the Most

Chapter 14: Dead

Levi's POV

"I really dont get why, I have to help with this. I mean I am the handsome brother, I should be sharing my good looks with..." My excuse for not doing paperwork, was cut off by a loud commotion outside of the office. Warriors yelling, and pack doctors complaining. I shared a glance with Leo, one that said 'What is going on now.' I shrugged, and we made our way to the commotion. A warrior was standing in the kitchen, about to walk out of the door, when I stopped him.

"Two dead rouges were found in the woods, with the body of a blond female child a few feet away from them."

"A body? Is the child okay?" Leo asked, his voice was hard, but I recognized the concern that racked his body.

"We do not know sir. We advised no-one to touch anything,until the doctors got there." Leo nodded, and we shifted running for the woods.

"Any details I should know?" I asked through the pack link, including Leo and the warrior only.

"I do not know. One rouge was in wolf form, and he is dead, on top of the rouge in a human form. She was naked, and had red hair. The child...."

"A rouge with red hair." I repeated, Leo's wolf sent one look to me, before we took off after the crime-scene.

"Levi, we haven't marked her, We wouldn't know if she had died or not." Leo said through the link. I growled, and he stayed silent until we were in the part of the woods, that the bodies were. My eyes first trailed to the pale small body, of a blond girl. Her heartbeat was low, and I knew she wasn't going to make it through. I shifted and pulled on the shorts that were handed to me, Leo doing the same.

"Get the girl to the hospital, she wont last long. Her parents need to have their goodbyes." I said my voice hoarse. A doctor who whipped the face of the young girl, revealed who she was. It was Angel, a 8yr old, who was close friends to William. The lump in my throat, was filled with the loss of a young pack member. But thoughts of Angel dispersed, when my eyes caught sight of the red hair flowing in a pile of thick, hot blood.

Tears gathered in my eyes to see Ivory without a heartbeat, sprawled under the body of a large wolf. With an inhuman growl, Leo was reaching to pull the wolf off of her. The doctors screamed, unsure why, but I grabbed Leo, holding him back. The doctor stepped in.

"The wolf's claws are deeply shoved into Ivory's side. If you pull him off like that, she will be missing over half of her side." Leo growled at the doctor, but he stopped trying to get out of my arms. The doctor nodded, and went back to what he was doing. I heard the sound of a bone saw.

"What are you doing?" I asked, my voice hoarse and clogged.

"I am cutting off the Wolf's fingers, so we can remove him. We will remove the claws from her stomach in the hospital." We sat in silence, my vision went blurry, watching my mate lay on the ground, pale and bloodless.

"The last one is out." With a heave the doctor, flipped the wolfe's body off of Ivory. I rushed to her side, clutching her body to me. Leo was kneeling next to me, his face emotionless.

"The rouge is lucky he is dead." Leo hissed. The little girl was long gone, the rouge on its way to being burned. All that was left was Aaron, staring at us with unshed tears. I rocked her body back and forth, Leo sat on the other side of the ground, when I looked up.

"We would of never known." I told him, I choked on the words. "We never even got to mark her, or give her a real date. Show her how gentle a man could be. We wouldn't of noticed." I sobbed at him. I had never had a problem with me being more emotional than Leo, but to see not a tear for our mate, made me angry.

"You heartless bastard! Can you not cry for her? Can you not feel anything?" My voice came out in a whisper, I pulled her face back to look at her. I used my hand to wipe some of the blood away. Despite how horrid her body looked, her face was that of serene innocence, it looked the first time I saw her.

"I feel to much." Leo said, his voice cracked. I looked up to him, but he was staring down at Ivory's face. "I know if I start crying now, I am not going to stop." He said, his voice back to the steel it always is. I looked back down to my beautiful mate.

"She could of changed that. She would of made you okay with crying. She would hold you when you did it, and kiss you until you no longer wanted to cry. She just needed more time." I said angrily. A throat being cleared behind us, shook us out of the trance we were in. A crushing sadness, like nothing I had ever felt before filled me. At that same moment, Leo and I threw back our heads, and let loose a loud, cracked howl for the loss of our mate. The answering howls, that came from others in the pack who lost their mate, was filled with pain, sadness, and a soul crushing loss.

"Alpha's we must get her cleaned up." The doctor said from behind us. With my shoulders slumped I handed Ivory to Leo, whom neither stood tall. But he gathered her frail, limp body in his arms, with a kiss on her head, we followed the doctor. Aaron in a broken whisper, spoke the thought, I had been to crushed to think.

"She never even joined the pack."

"And Aaron is never going to be the same." He continued his voice cracking. I looked up to Aaron, the man who had been my friend since I was a kid. I could tell he tried, but he to was unable to lift a smile.

______________

"You may come back in." The doctor said after he had us clean the blood off of ourselves. This time when we saw Ivory, her hair was wet, but clean. All her cuts had been stitched, she was dressed in a white gown. She was still pale, her skin blotchy, and her heartbeat gone. I ran to her, and again placed a kiss on her head, laying my head on her chest. I waited for a rush of warmth, a beat of a heart. I waited for anything. We had been unable to shift, our wolf was seemingly gone. So Leo and I walked to the house, giving the doctor time to work, and unable to have energy to run in human form with them.

"Is it strange she looks so beautiful, her face held such warm smiles, now is just... cold." Leo said into the silence. Across from us, the blond girl was barley breathing, hooked up to tube and machines.Her family had been crying the hall. At that moment my mom and dad burst into the room.

"Oh goddess! I thought maybe, I had heard wrong, my old age catching up with me and all." Mom walked up to me and kissed my cheek. Dad sat in the back, watching, but saying nothing. Mom however, went to Leo and laid his head on her shoulder, rocking him back and forth. Something she had done often, but never really worked.

"IT doesn't make since. She was fated to give birth." Dad growled. I looked down at my precious mate, and with an ache in my chest. Wish I would of been able to know the feel, of my first child kicking in Ivory's stomach. A loud beep sound pulled us from our conversation, we looked up and a red line flowed on the TV screen, above the little girls head. And in that moment, my mates sacrifice had been made in vain. I looked to the little girl, who's head had lulled to the side. When an angry an loud gasp came form my side. When I turned back. Ivory was sitting there, pushing me out of her way, as if I was a threat. I landed on the ground with a thud, pain shooting through my ass. As she ran to the little girl, I noticed not one of her cuts existed anymore. They were completely healed.

"I am so sorry. So so sorry. Come back..." Ivory began to mindlessly chant, come back over and over, as she ran her fingers through the girls hair. The a loud beep came on the machine. I looked up to see a green jump on the screen, seconds later another one. Leo began walking to Ivory.

"Her nose is bleeding." He said in alarm. I jumped up and looked at her, reaching toward her when the machine went crazy in beeping sounds. Wide eyes of the blond girl met mine, at the same moment, Ivory dropped to the ground, as if she had came back, just to heal the girl.

And her eyes stared dull and blankly at the ceiling. Unblinking, and again, Un-breathing.

--------------------------------

I know it seems really early for her to have died, but I promise I know what I am doing. It will make since soon, her sacrifice was not in vain. This blond little girl is very important. And a worthy sacrifice.

Note: Please, no one stop reading because you dont like what happened, I promise that the best part of the book has yet to come!