Chapter 20 - Sleepover

Hoseok had been gone for three days.

Despite lack of sleep and very little to eat, you obeyed without complaint when Yoongi asked you to do tasks around the camp. He had you bring him herbs for those in the medic tent, collect vegetables from the garden, clean the men's clothes, and send messages to the remaining members at the camp... everything short of helping Jin and Jimin in the kitchen. Mainly because Jin forbade it.

You tried to throw yourself into Yoongi's chores to keep your mind off Hoseok and the other men, but every time someone came back to camp, your heart pounded. 

What if Hoseok was ambushed like the others? What if he didn't return? He wouldn't die, would he? He couldn't die. You could never forgive yourself or him if he did.

"Focus on your work, woman."

You turned your head up from the garden, looking Yoongi in the eye. He nodded to the dirt you had piled into a strange mound next to the vegetables. Sheepishly, you flattened it.

He leaned down, grabbing your dirty hands and pulling you up to your feet. He looked down at your fingers and sighed.

"You need to sleep," he said.

You shook your head. "I can't."

His eyes searched your face for a moment. "You're that loyal to him?"

It took you a minute to realize what he meant. You didn't know how to answer the question, though.

"Are you so attached that you need him to sleep?" he asked.

You shook your head. "It's not that."

"Then what?"

He waited for your answer. You clenched your teeth, wishing you weren't so weak. But too tired to lie about it anymore.

"I hear the screaming when I shut my eyes."

You tried to stiffen your body to keep yourself from shaking. Yoongi's hand on yours suddenly softened, and he gently rubbed some of the dirt off your fingers.

 Yoongi's hand on yours suddenly softened, and he gently rubbed some of the dirt off your fingers

"Don't sleep in the medic tent tonight," he said. "Go to your own tent. You need to sleep somewhere you feel safe."

"I don't feel safe without Hoseok."

The words surprised you as they left your mouth. It didn't, however, seem to surprise Yoongi. He sighed.

"You're a pain in the ass, woman. You know that?"

You gave a faint smile, hands trembling. "Yes... I know."

Yoongi looked at your hands for a long moment, then turned his head to the side.

"He'll return," Yoongi assured you. "Until then, I'm watching over you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~