thirty

san fransisco, ca | next morning

———————————

Hand in hand, Jace and I entered the facility for cancer treatment. My mom placed her here because it was highly regarded as one of the best cancer treatment facilities in the world.

  I could tell he was kind of nervous about me meeting her. I'm not sure why, but it was cute.

He kept squeezing my hand, asking me if I was alright. I felt pretty confident, however. I mean of course it's a big thing meeting someone's mom. Especially when you have a situation like Jace's where she is all he has.

Meeting someone new is a divine pleasure. Regardless of how things turn out, I love the dance that begins. The most important idea is to be able to get a true feeling for who they are over a few weeks and months without ever forming an opinion of them. You let them develop as a old polaroid photograph, nice and slow.

From what he has told me, she was a sweetheart.

I waited while he signed us both in then when he was finished, we walked to the elevator. He pressed the button causing it to open and we stepped on.

    "You good?" He asked for the tenth time.

I smiled at him and nodded. "I'm fine, babe. Are you okay?"

   He sighed before nodding. "Yea, just nervous. I ain't never had nobody to meet my mama before."

"Really?" I lifted my brow.

Jace shook his head. "Never been this serious with someone."

I squeezed his hand, and smiled. "It's going to go smooth. Trust me." I winked.

He smiled back at me. "You're sound so sure. So confident."

I shrugged my shoulder. "I am. It's refreshing because I haven't felt this way in a long time."

"I'm glad to hear that."

We shared a look as the door the elevator opened. Jace stepped off and I followed just slightly behind him.

I looked around, and into the rooms, nodding my head at the environment. They seem to go beyond to make the cancer patients feel extremely comfortable.

We needed more facilities like these. The only thing I'd change is the cost to put the patients in. Because my mom and I could afford this, it got Jace's mom here.

But what if he didn't have us? What would they do? It wasn't fair in my eyes. Just because you have little resources, it shouldn't stop you from getting the best care.

Her room was the last door on the hall and it was slightly ajar. Jace knocked before pushing the door open. She was laying down, watching Judge Judy while the nurse did her job.

From right off the bat, I could tell she was a patient little lady. I say little lady because she was much smaller than I'd imagined her. Jace evidently had gotten his height from his father.

She turned her head towards the door to look at us. As soon as her eyes fell on Jace, she smiled and it was infectious.

Then, her eyes fell on me. She maintained her smile and without uttering a word, she motioned for me to come to her.

"Ma—"

She interrupted Jace with her hand and continued to motion for me to come to her. I let go of Jace's hand and walked over to her. She held out her hand for me to place mine into hers and I did just that.