Chapter 16: Newcomer

Trust was a word I wasn't willing to give anyone who I'd met just about ten minutes ago. Especially one who I'd perceived to be a monster. But as I got up and found that my leg felt almost completely new— like it had never been hit by a bullet in the first place, I was eager to know who Dante was, and what he was up to.

Not as much eager as I was to search for my friends, but it was pretty damn close.

"There," he said, smiling, as I got to my feet. "Better, isn't it? Like I'd told you?"

"Yup," I replied, still disbelieving. How did he manage to do that? Even my parents wouldn't be able to do this, and they'd been Doctors for a long time.

"And you can walk now too." Dante encouraged me. "Well, maybe not run, but you can at least give it some baby steps. Try."

I took a deep, shaky breath. What he was asking of me, sure wasn't easy. Especially since I knew that the pain could come anytime soon. Or had he, in fact, just given me a placebo? That could be possible too.

Dante's gentle hand went to my shoulder. "Try. . ."

I gulped. I hope he was right. Otherwise, I'd just go stumbling down. It would be such a disaster, and my crutch was nowhere to be found.

Taking another deep breath, I pushed myself forward.

And smiled.

"Wow. . ."

I glanced at him. The interchanging pain and numbness from before were completely gone now, like they had never even existed. I could totally feel every inch of my leg without me wincing or groaning. But again, how?

"Magic," Dante said, letting go of one of my hands, which I didn't notice was still tightly clasped to his. "Like I said, we can help you in here, if you just trust me."

My eyes narrowed at him. Okay, maybe he was on to something here. After all, he saved me and healed me afterwards. But why was he so insistent on trust? I mean, he barely even knew me. For all he knew, I could be a serial killer.

Dante, who was looking closely at me, gave me a shrug. "That, or you can search for your friends alone," he said. "Your choice, little one. I'm just happy to help.

Wow. He didn't give much leeway, did he?

With him looking convinced that I was willing to do anything for my friends, Dante stepped away, though not without a wink and a warning. "If you do fall down, it wouldn't be my fault." He then went to the tent flap, took one of the edges, turned to me with an expectant smile. "Ready?"

"I guess. . ."

With a flick of his hand, the flap came upward— along with it my jaw dropped downward. What I was seeing was impossible.

"Where. . ." I stammered. "Where are we?"

The waterfall that cascaded in the distance was nothing short of a fairy tale. Several feet high, even at this range, everything else— even the astonishment with my legs suddenly healing, felt unimportant as I hobbled towards the exit.

"D-Dante, where's the sewer?!" I gasped.

The man went outside, tilted his head to me. "Come now, little one. We have more land to cover."

I blinked one more time, rubbed my eyes to see if I was dreaming. Yet the waterfall in front was still there when I stepped outside the tent. I looked at the rest of the scenery, wondering what happened.