18. Someone make me a PASTA.

Harieth

Each step I took felt heavy and exhausting but I couldn’t stop. This was my solace. This was my therapy.

I shrugged my shoulders a bit as I adjusted a half filled shopping bag in my hand before going further. The cry of a child made me come to a stop and I slightly look past my shoulder to the direction of the cry.

There, a young girl, around the age of six, stood, crying as her mother tries all possible best to pacify her. I watched her shake her head in rejection to the apology before pointing to the lollipop she had apparently dropped by mistake. Her mother, an average caucasian stood straight as she let out an exhausted sigh. The child on the other hand kept crying, causing several eyes to lurk their side in the mall. I graded the lady’s appearance from head to toe and I could tell she was having a hard time but for some reason, managed to make her way into the mall. Therefore, her sigh wasn’t really because of her inability to handle her daughter and her daughter’s cry, perhaps, not just because of the dropped lollipop but because of not generally having all she really wants and the lady unable to afford what her daughter truly wants.

A weak but definite smile curled up the side of my face, something about the two seeming a bit funny. Well, I’ve finally got the distraction I’ve truly craved all day. Without thinking twice, I walked up to the two.

Upon my arrival, the lady gave a clueless stare at first but I displayed a broad smile in understanding that everything would be alright then crouched down to meet the height of her daughter whose face had turned a bit red. Her raven hair had been braided into two ponytails and her lips twitched a bit as her sobs tuned down upon laying eyes on me.

“What’s wrong dear? Why are you crying?” I intentionally questioned and waited for her reply. She blinked a few times then sniff before giving a reply.

“My lollipop… I dropped it.” She explained in an adorable voice that I couldn’t help smiling.

“Is that all?” I questioned and she nodded.

“You know what dear, pretty girls like you shouldn’t cry because of lollipops. If you want to cry about something then let it be worth your tears. Okay?” I narrated but she just stared at me with confusion. Okay, perhaps, I just spoke jaggons to her. I’ll have to come down to her level.

“What’s your name dear?” I popped and she sniffed once more in hesitation before speaking.

“Gretha.”

“Gretha. That’s a nice name…”

“Um, excuse me miss.” Her mother finally intervened and I’m forced to look up to her.

“Thank you for attempting to calm her down but we’re fine. I can take care of her.” She defended and I’m forced to stand straight on my feet once more. My eyes burrowed into hers.

“Really?” I stated in a bit of a mockery. Why do people have to lie all the time? Just say you need help and everything’s solved.

She narrowed her brows at me, a bit unhappy with my comment. Truly, I couldn’t care so I returned to my position with her daughter.

“Gretha, how would you love to have more than enough lollipops than you can take?”

“More lollipop?” she questioned with slightly widened eyes.

“Yes!” I replied enthusiastically.

“You can also have ice cream, pizza, cotton candy, clothes, shoes, anything you desire. Assume today’s christmas.”

“Christmas!?” She exclaimed with a brighter face.

“Excuse me miss.” Her mother intervened once more as she took hold of her daughter’s hand and dragged her to her side like I was some plague. I was forced to stand straight once more as I properly turn to the lady.