11

FAY

I could tell by my mother's tense shoulders that she was really mad at me for refusing her opinion in front of everyone. This was how it was with my mother.

She felt that her opinion was the only thing right for me. Ever since I was little, she had groomed me up to be the perfect daughter. She restricted me from eating some certain kind of food. She had been rooting on my career from the onset.

When we stopped outside the backyard garden, I sighed. "Mom, please you have to understand."

"Understand what?" She asked with a hard glare.

"At least listen to what-"

"No, you listen to me. That contract has to be cancelled. You shouldn't be modeling for any other company but Sparks and any of the Chesterfield companies! Your loyalty is to them and them alone."

"But Mom- just because I happen to be dating a Chesterfield, doesn't mean I limit my career to just their companies- I'm a model for crying out loud. You should know this." I said.

"I don't care about the model title. All I care about is your relationship with the Chesterfields. And what I want is for you to end your contract with Yvonne."

"How about what I want?" I asked her. "I want to help Yvonne this year... She has talents and zeal... I get it, she's not one of the best. But she has proven to be serious with this merge. I want to help her."

"No one cares about want you want Fay. You don't know what you want." she said.

I exhaled sharply. "I care about want I want, mother. And I know what is best for me. Hell, I'm not a kid anymore. I know you want what's best for me but ending the contract is not what is best for me. I think it's time I start making my own decisions." I said.

She had a look of disbelief in her eyes as she shook her head. "I always knew, I always knew that when the time came, you'd be ungrateful for everything I've done for you."

"Mom please, don't pull that card."

"What card? You think you know what's best for you, but you don't. I am the one who got you to the position you are now. I." She pointed to her self. "If not for my struggles and sacrifice. You wouldn't be where you are now. Nobody would know your name! I picked you up from the grass and placed you on the skies and this is how you choose to repay me... By making your own decisions and by pushing me out of your life."

I paused. "Why are you turning the issue Mom? I know the sacrifices you made for me and not a day goes by that I don't thank you for it. I appreciate you for everything. But it's high time you listen to my own opinion on things-"

"You have no right to have an opinion!" She yelled at me.

"What?"

"You heard me." she gritted out. "I made you who you are. I should be the one making your decisions for you because I know what is best for you."

"I know what is best for me mother." I said.

"No you don't! You're not capable of making your own decisions Fay."

"I am. I'm old enough-" I tried to argue but she cut me off.

"Old enough? What do you know? You know nothing about the fashion business, and the little you know, I was the one who taught you."