23

Chapter Twenty-Three | Accepting

"Why is it every time we come down to the Grub you're sulking over some issue of yours?" Spencer's voice made me look up from my melting strawberry milkshake. The whip cream had seemed to swirl into the shake, the rim of the glass cup overflowing a little, small droplets of pink dripping onto the table.

Pink. His favorite color.

"Hello," Lemuel waved his slender hand in my face frantically, practically leaning over the table. "Earth to Grayson? Why the hell do you keep zoning out on us?"

I blinked at my friends sitting across from me. They both looked at me with matching expression. Both with their brows raised, a curious head tilt as they tried to figure me out. I exhaled a heavy sigh, burying my face in the palms of my hands.

"I fucked up you guys." I mumbled into my palms.

Spencer lowers her head to meet my droopy eyes. "What do you mean?"

"Are you overreacting because you made a C on a  test again?" Lemuel asked, his skinny arms folding over his chest.

I wish I failed a test instead of telling Aries to stay away from me. I'd failed a million tests if it meant I could take those words back. It didn't even feel right saying those words to him. They tasted sour and made my stomach burn, but I was still dumb enough to say them anyway.

"I told Aries to stay away from me." I told them, rubbing the bridge of my nose out of embarrassment. "I told him to stay away from me and that being his friend has caused me nothing but trouble."

"Now why the hell would you go and do that?" Lemuel furrowed his brows at me, a disappointing look coming over his face.

I shrugged my shoulders, slouching in my seat. "Because stupid Armon caught a video of us talking about a kissed we shared at my house."

Lemuel who was sipping on his milkshake, choked. His face scrunched up suddenly, and Spencer quickly started to pat the boy's back.