Chapter 25 - Nate

I use my hip to nudge the door open while balancing all of Zack's things in my hands. I drop the heavy baby bag and overnight bags on the floor and step to the side to make room for Del. She walks in with Zack snuggled into her side and shuts the door behind her, sighing at the noticeable heat of the house. Now that winter is here in full force, the air outside is colder and crispier and piles of snow adorn the entire space of my front yard. I make a note to clear it up later today.

"Mom! Dad! We're home!" I call out around cupped hands.

I've barely said the words when I hear a group of loud footsteps speedily heading our way. My wide eyes meet Del's equally horrified ones and we take a simultaneous step back at the sound of stampeding. I swear the house shakes a little. A second later my sisters burst into the living room with excited faces only to halt and come up short when they see Zack.

"Oh my God!" Mia squeals and claps her hands.

"He's so cute." Lexie coos and I swear her lip quivers a little.

"Can we hold him?" Eleanor asks not-so-shyly.

"I'm not the youngest anymore!" Harmony jumps into the air.

All I can do is burst out laughing at Delilah's shell-shocked expression. She's clearly not used to the excitement that comes with an additional member joining an already big family. We take babies real seriously.

"Let me through, girls." I hear Mom before I see her. She squeezes her way through Mia and Lexie and gasps, hands going to her chest. "Oh, Delilah. He's even more gorgeous in person."

"Thank you." Delilah grins with obvious pride. "Would you like to hold him?"

"I'd love that." Mom walks to us with outstretched hands and Delilah hands Zack to her. Zack immediately burrows his head into Mom's neck, his eyes falling shut. Poor kid is tired as hell from the drive here.

"He likes me!" Mom whisper-squeals. I suppress a smile, not having the heart to tell her Zack likes everyone and isn't picky about who holds him.

"Are they here?" Dad steps into the living room and smiles when he sees us. "Let me guess—your mom is already hogging him."

"Shush." Mom scolds, rocking side to side with her arms wrapped around Zack.

Dad chuckles and comes to stand beside her, peering down at Zack over her shoulder. "What a handsome guy this one is."

"Thank you." Delilah steps into Dad's arms when he reaches out to hug her. He pats her on the back affectionately.

"We're proud of you." He tells her softly and Del nods, looking emotional. I watch my parents as they treat Del as if she's their own and can't help but feel so fucking lucky to have them in my life. I hope I never take them for granted.

"I forgot how good you look with babies." Dad kisses Mom's cheek and waggles his brows. "Should we make some more?"

"No!" The girls and I yell at the same time, holding out our hands in surrender.

Mom and Dad burst out laughing along with Delilah, the three of them clearly entertained at our absolute horror.

"Six is enough, don't you think?" I shake my head. "Jesus, keep it in your pants."

"I will when you do." Dad returns easily, not taking his eyes off Zack as he strokes his hair.

"Gross!" My sisters groan.

"This conversation is officially over." Lexie gags. "Call me when the parents are done stealing everyone's babies."

"And done making them." Mia grumbles, following Lexie out of the living room.