Chapter 6

The carriage rattled down the road, shaking its occupants at every pot hole and bump. Athénaïs didn't complain or show her annoyance. She was here to seduce, not whine. She sat ramrod straight to keep herself from getting jostled forward against the king's legs. Her husband had taken off from court with no notice or explanation, leaving her free to accept the carriage ride without fear of retaliation. Her flirtations with the king had earned her three more bruises on her wrists and arms, all gifts from her husband. She hated to think what Montespan would do if he found out about the secret lunch she spent with the king two days ago. Louise hadn't been present, and the lunch did nothing but leave Athénaïs reeling in the unknown of what was or wasn't building between her and the king.

Today the king had chosen a ride through the countryside. Tall trees passed by the window at a steady pace and gave them enough shade to keep away the worst of the sun's heat. The guards flanking the carriage reminded her that she wasn't truly alone with the king, but the king was rarely ever truly alone.

The king opened one window, and then the other. "I hope you don't mind, madame. It gets too stuffy inside for me with the windows closed."

"Not at all." The open windows let the warm wind in. The breeze chased away the stale, early summer air. While the fresh air was welcomed, she heard stories of it being less so during winter rides with the king. No matter the season he insisted on opening the windows. The queen complained of it often during the winter.

Escaping the court for a few hours made it easy to see why the king loved hunting so much. The chirping of birds provided a peaceful background to a quiet trip free of courtiers jockeying for position next to the king. He looked more relaxed. His shoulders weren't so rigid and he lounged in a comfortable position. The smooth planes of his face showed no signs of stress or worry. His good looks made her heart skip a beat and she turned her head to hide her blush. Her husband had never been so handsome.

"I think I understand why you like to hunt," she said.

"What do you mean?" He tilted his head, watching her with curiosity.

"It's peaceful out here." She gestured toward the right window. "When you hunt you leave politics behind and all the vultures begging for favors. You get to run away and focus on pleasing only yourself."

He gave her a wry smile. "I see I should be careful around your intuition."

"But is it true? Or do you hunt for another reason?" She leaned forward, forgetting herself until another hole in the road jolted her back against her seat.

The king turned his gaze to the window. "The forest is freedom. I can ride wherever I please and there is nothing more satisfying than a clean kill. When the chase starts, everything else falls away and I become nothing more than a hunter. A successful hunt gives me immediate pleasure, while politics is different. Hunting rewards me faster."

"I don't think of politics as something that gives anyone pleasure."

The king laughed. "Very true." He surveyed the view outside as trees gave way to buildings. "We'll be back at the palace soon." His face grew more serious as the mirth faded away. "I asked you on this ride because I wanted to talk with you. I would like to see you more often, if you are agreeable to it. My evenings are much more pleasant with you around."

Her stomach tightened with anxiety. She squeezed her hands. This was the very thing she'd feared and longed for all at once. Gabrielle warned her he would try to move their relationship along faster and she needed to make up her mind, decide if she was willing to risk her husband's violent anger to become the king's mistress. She made the decision she knew she'd regret not making. Her heart wouldn't have it any other way.