Chapter 7

For all the king's faults when it came to breaking hearts, he proved to be shrewd when it came to war. First the towns of Armentières and Charleroi fell as he predicted, and they were soon followed by others as the army pushed deeper into the Flanders border. Athénaïs stayed with the queen's household and her ladies quietly celebrated each victory lest the queen see. The queen prayed more than ever.

"I think she is torn on the war," Madame de Richelieu whispered to Athénaïs. They sat beside the window at the latest manor to house them, Fère. They sipped on hot tea to warm up from the chilly night. The queen and her women were on their way to Avesnes on the Netherlands' border to meet the king. His army was hard at working repairing fortifications and preparing for their next wave of attack on the towns of Tournai and Douai. The queen had already disappeared into a bedroom to pray. "I saw her cry again yesterday."

Athénaïs set her cup down. "How could she not? The king has forced her between him and her family and she has no choice but to bear it. It's a sacrifice of being queen. France comes before her homelands."

"It's cruel. Her heart is still in Spain." She sucked in a breath. "I hope we don't see any of the war. I don't want to see men die. The queen is so...innocent. She wouldn't be able to handle such a sight."

"Few can. My husband has always been so eager to make his way as a soldier and I've never understood it." He'd prepared to join the war as well, and she welcomed the break from him. Best of all, their distance meant she could flirt with the king whenever she pleased.

Richelieu leaned closer and looked about to make sure none of the women sitting beside the fire listened in. "But if he fought and died, he would go out a martyr for his country and you'd be free of him."

"It's a thought I've already been plagued with guilt over," she admitted. She grabbed her cup and squeezed it between her hands for warmth. "Sometimes I wonder if I'd be better off without him and his gambling."

"At least you didn't marry Lauzun. Your life would always be rife with scandal and you wouldn't be a favorite lady-in-waiting of the queen." She grinned. "Or the king. Are you really gaining the king's favor? The gossips say you got the spot Mademoiselle Sévigné wanted in the king's carriage."

Athénaïs sighed. "Oh not you too." If her position was already this public, her failure would be too. A jolt of fear shot through her chest.

"You must know better than any of us what your odds are with him. I'd prefer to see you at his side than Madame Soissons or Mademoiselle Sévigné. It will take a strong woman to keep the position. Louise isn't conniving enough. She doesn't have enough allies. You could charm your way into favor."

Was she hoping to use Athénaïs to gain favor of her own? "I won't presume to know the mind of the king. In truth, I don't know if my charms have worked enough." She missed her sister. If Gabrielle were here she'd be better at analyzing the situation. With her support, Athénaïs would feel more confident. Last time they parted Gabrielle had been busy plotting a plan for Athénaïs to eclipse her competition.

Richelieu glanced toward the queen's room. "The queen won't like you when she finds out. She thinks you are loyal to her."

"She won't know if no one tells her. You know as well as I how slow she is to catch onto the latest gossip."

A clatter from outside drew Richelieu's gaze to the window. She squinted at the glass. "Is that a carriage? Who is coming at this time of night?"

"Is it a messenger from the king? Maybe the king changed plans."

"No, a messenger would come on horseback. It's a carriage."

"Let me see." Athénaïs leaned over to get a look as the carriage halted out front. The door opened and a figure robed in a sumptuous pale green dress stepped out.