Chapter 9

The hot summer air was stifling in the carriage, but Athénaïs wouldn't complain. She wanted to stay near the king. However, she could do without the queen sulking across from her. She wanted to return to Saint Germain or Fontainebleau, but the king wouldn't let her. The king insisted on the queen coming along to tour the newly conquered towns. His argument had been that since he conquered them in her name she needed to see them. In reality he wanted to keep Athénaïs at his side while he toured his new lands. If the queen left, as part of her household Athénaïs would go with her.

Beside the queen Madame slept. With her pretty face and flaming hair, Athénaïs could understand the appeal Henrietta once held for the king, even if her back was slightly hunched. What she couldn't understand was how he'd chosen quiet, meek Louise over the usually boisterous Madame.

She turned her attention to the window, hoping to get a look at her lover. The king rode alongside the carriage, singing loud enough for them to hear in a clear, ringing voice. The night before he told her he sang for her, not the queen. Athénaïs closed her eyes and focused on his rich voice. In her mind she sat beside the lake at Versailles while the king serenaded her. Candles lit up the gardens around them, giving Versailles the same otherworldy charms as during the Pleasures of the Enchanted Isles. Across from them a troop of fairies danced across the lake.

The carriage stopped, tugging her away from her daydream. Another church. The queen insisted on visiting as many as possible to pray. The king never argued with her on it. The churches kept her busy and distracted while he visited with Athénaïs. The queen climbed out first, then Madame followed by Athénaïs. If allowed, the queen would spend hours at the churches. Sometimes Athénaïs joined her, but not for long. No matter how guilty being in the queen's presence felt, it didn't instill the same crushing piousness as the queen and Louise suffered from.

Inside, the queen went to the altar to pray. Madame stayed near the door, fanning herself from the heat.

"Are we staying?" Athénaïs whispered to the king who stood at the end of the aisle.

"No. The queen can return as she sees fit. I'll have the carriage sent back for her."

"Good. I wanted to return to my room to get out of this heat." She dropped her voice even lower. "I thought you might like to join me." He visited her almost daily since the tour started. The queen had yet to catch on as she continued to view Louise as the king's mistress. Deceiving her was almost too easy.

His eyes lit up. "I can't think of anything else I'd rather do." He offered her his arm and they headed back to the carriage. "I admit I am not accustomed to any woman being as hungry for me as you are."

"Does my hunger bother you?" She tilted her head up, looking at him through her lashes.

"No. I find it rather refreshing to be desired so."

"Good, because my hunger is far from sated."

Madame called out to them. "I hope we are heading back. I could use a drink and some entertainment. I shouldn't have stayed up so late playing cards last night."

"Think of how well you'll sleep tonight," Athénaïs said.

"Unless she sleeps the day away," the king added. This time he joined them inside the carriage instead of riding on horseback. Madame wasted no time curling up in the corner and falling asleep. Louis and Athénaïs shared knowing looks.

They waited several minutes before the king whispered. "Want to scare her?" he asked.

Athénaïs gave him a sly grin. "Of course." She'd started teasing Madame to entertain the king once their tour started and he delighted in it. She threw her arms in the air and yelled. "We've crashed! Oh, Madame, wake up!"