Chapter Twenty Nine

Chapter Twenty Nine

I felt like a genius with way I came up with a solution. It was actually the most obvious solution and I'm a little embarrassed with how long it took me to come up with it.

My method of dealing with my blackmailing step-siblings is straight up confrontation. I'm ready to stand up to them face to face and tell them to do their worst. I'm actually excited to say I don't give a shit about their antics.

I've finally discovered the strength inside me and I'm not going to let this opportunity to showcase it pass up.

First I need to patch things up with Edmon, if things can even be repaired. Since I don't have my phone I have to 'ambush' him by his house. My backup plan if he's not there is sitting on the porch until he comes back.

I'm hoping we can work this out and I didn't drive us further apart. I want to fix our friendship, but in the off chance that it can't I'll know at least I tried.

I don't want to lose Edmon, he's my best friend and I can't lose him.

I followed through with my plan and drove by Edmon's house, parking a few houses away to give me time to work up the courage. I walked up to the front door with confidence which quickly faltered as soon as I raised my hand to knock.

Will he even want to see me?

Probably not, but I'm already here so might as well see it through. I knocked once softly, followed by a second louder knock. There was no response, or any sign of movement within the house.

I peered into the window and saw the lights were off. Maybe they were upstairs. I paced back and forth on the porch.

Still no sign of movement.

Maybe they are all in the basement, or the backyard. Growing impatient, I rang the doorbell for good measure. Once, twice, three times before I wanted to rip the door off its hinges.

A few more minutes of waiting and I grew bored. I didn't have my phone to pass the time so I was left alone with my thoughts for who knows how long. I sat on the porch with my legs hanging over the front step.

I guess I could use this time to think of what to say to Edmon, my plan was just to wing it. And this way my preoccupied mind can't think of all the downfall of this scenario.

How do I ever start off, with a hello, a causal hey or forgo words and do a small wave? Why am I freaking out on the small parts of the conversation? All this worrying and I still have nothing to say when he comes.

I know I was wrong, I never should have pushed him away. It'll be a miracle if he even acknowledges me. He has every right to be angry and upset with me. I was being a shitty friend who didn't realize all the help in front of her.

I may have had to hit rock bottom to realize it, but I'm taking him for granted again. He helped me countless times throughout the years always being my shoulder to cry on or most trusted confidant.

He means so much to me as a friend that I have to fix the shitstorm I created by shutting him out and not trusting him to help me in the first place.

I just hope-

"Adira?" I was pulled out of my thoughts by Edmon himself standing in front of me puzzled. "What are you doing here?"

I stood up and brushed the dirt from my pants. "I wanted to see you, and my step-sisters stole my phone." I shove my hands into my pockets because I honestly had no clue what I was supposed to do with them.

"Come inside, it's cold." He fumbles with his keys for a second before jamming it into the door. I followed him inside.

"My parents are still at work." He awkwardly explains. I nod not trusting myself yet to give a verbal response.

Edmon leads us to the living room and we take a seat on opposing couches. "How long have you been waiting?"

"Not sure, don't have a watch on me." I shrug. "But it didn't feel like long." I reassure him. He nods back at me, leaning into his seat.

"Do you want anything to eat or drink?" I shake my head. I know he was stalling with these questions.

"I wanted to talk..." I trail off suddenly getting nervous. My hands were starting to clam up and I felt the urge to clear my throat several times.

"So talk." He says in a bored tone. I tried not to flinch from his harsh tone because we both knew I deserved it.

"I'm sorry Edmon." I blurted out. "I'm sorry for not listening to you because you were right and I never should have pushed you away. I was being a little bitch and I understand why you're upset and angry with me. You have every right to feel the way you do. I should have listened to you, I should have stood up for myself but I was weak then."

"I recently had an epiphany on my way to rock bottom. I moved out of the house, took my things and moved in with my Aunt Ava. I'm done being a little pawn in their game. I'm going to be crushed under the heel of their boots, I'm going to stand up for myself until they have nothing else to blackmail me with."

Derric leaned forward. "When did you start getting blackmailed?"

"About a day before we last fought. That's why they stole my phone. They broke into my room, destroying it and finding out I was at Derric's party. They said I had to do whatever they said or else they would ruin you and Derric too."

"I'm sorry, I thought I was protecting you. I learned now the only way to beat a bully is to stand up to one."

Edmon wordlessly got up and sat next to me. He pulled me in for a hug that I immediately reciprocated. He rested his chin on top of my head.

"I'm sorry for walking out so easily, I should have known there was something else going on. I'm sorry for not being there for you when you needed it." He squeezed me tighter at the last part.

"I'm sorry for driving you to the point where it became easy to be fed up with my antics."

"I'm just glad we're better now." He tells me.

"We are?"

"Why else would I hug you silly?"

"Good, because I missed my best friend."

I hear him sigh softly. "I missed you too."

He pulls apart a minute later and looks at me strangely. "Did you say you moved out?" I nodded and he looked even more bewildered.

"Please tell me you have a plan to get rid of the Terror Trio and their blackmail."

I pretend to be offended. "Do you think I'm some kind of idiot?" He stays silent, purposely looking away. "I take offense to that." I give him a light shove.

"I came up with a plan this morning. It goes like this..."

----------

The next day Derric and I were ready to fulfill our plan at school. To be completely honest, it was me doing most of the work and Edmon was there for support. Regardless, I was pretty proud of it and its simplicity.

I still felt like an idiot for not thinking it sooner when it was so obvious. We'll just fudge the details on the origins of the plan then.

Once I walk into the building and class officially starts, there's only a few hours left until the plan goes down.

I can't wait, it's time for the trio to fall.