Bloodright

Neira slammed through the front door of her cabin.

"Hey, I was just looking for you."

It was Sada, she was standing in the kitchen her face turned up in a smile. Neira grabbed the shirt off the couch and pulled it over her head in a rush before slamming the front door back closed.

"Get out," Neira said quietly. She didn't look in Sada's direction as she grabbed the small backpack tucked under the bench by the door.

"What-"

"I said get out," Neira snapped not looking at her.

"N-"

"Now Sada!" She screamed the words, tears threatening to make chase down her cheeks.

Neira almost didn't hear the door click closed once again as she pushed things into the bag. A shirt, jerky, water, anything she might need. And then she waited impatiently for Sada to disappear into the trees.

Then she was out the door and clenching the backpack in her teeth as she fell into her auburn fur. She took off down the steps and into the forest, heading north.

She couldn't stay here anymore. She couldn't stay with Judd or Sada or even Lincon. She didn't want to. The farther she got away from here, the faster the mark on her neck would disappear. She couldn't be some caged bird, tied to one life, not again.

Neira jolted left around a tree, heading further away from the centre of the territory. It would take a good day or so of straight running to get out of this place.

Her shadow was running beside her, its shape unclear, but it seemed to leap over fallen logs and zig-zag just as she was. It matched her pace, stride for stride. She tried to pay it as little attention as possible, every now and then growling when it came to close. She could tell when it growled back.

She ran for four hours at most when it finally disappeared. Maybe it was tied to these trees, maybe it was attached to something somehow and now she was out of its range.

Good riddance.

And then a hard male body slammed into her side, knocking her off her feet and sending her sprawling. The backpack fell from her mouth and she stood teeth bared to face the grey and copper wolf.

Judd snarled back at her, raising his head above hers. His height should be enough to send any female rolling over but not Neira. She would never bow to him, no matter how hard he tried to force it on her.

He had no idea what it meant to her.

She snapped at him, lunging, teeth nearly closing on his front leg. He sidestepped her, bowing his head low with his jaws open wide. Neira twisted, her teeth snapping up towards his face and he quickly banked out of the way. She advanced and he took a step back. Then he advanced and Neira took up the offensive. He went for her scruff, but she jerked out of his reach. Her legs pressed into a tree and she used its truck to kick off and lunge towards his exposed throat.

But he saw that coming. Saw it from a mile away and as she dove, he closed his teeth around her neck. It was jerked into a terrible angle, her body slamming into the ground moments later. Her hip started to bleed again and her bruised ribs thundered in pain.

He held her there, body pressed into the dirt shuddered and she tried and failed to keep a wimped of pain down in her belly. Even when it rushed out through her nose he didn't relent, not until he felt her body go slack.

He pulled away, fresh puncture wounds in her throat bleeding as he shifted. His human form stood tall and naked. The body she had used standing before her like a mocking poster.