Chapter Eleven: Devil's Mirror

"You know, amour, your eye is almost like a broken piece of the devil's mirror."  The Prince said as I looked up at him with wide eyes. A warm hand cradled my face as I reached out for him. "Once upon a time, little devils created a dark evil mirror that only showed the ugly in the world. It could make a princess seem like a horrid witch. The little devils wanted to use this little mirror to show the ugliest things in the world to break the hearts of humans, but as they carried it up to block the sun, they dropped it."

"Shards of the glass fell into people's hearts and eyes. It made the human world such an ugly place. A faerie prince made of ice saw a girl crying one day. He asked her, 'what is wrong, ma fifille?' And she told him, 'No one will smile or laugh anymore because they see all that is horrible.' " His voice sounded deep and his whole chest vibrated as he held me. "The prince fell in love with her immediately because of her wisdom, but she was much too young, you see, and needed for her to grow up into the woman he knew she was destined to be."

"He should've swept her off her feet like in all those fairytales and took her far, far away from that world if it's so ugly." I said.

"There are no princes with beautiful faces. Only monsters."

"But aren't you-"

"MATTY!"

 I jerked up from my bed to find Drake sitting at the foot of my bed. My blonde hair stuck to my face thanks to the sweat. "What?" Drake made for a great alarm clock sometimes.

"You were talking in your sleep again," he noted. "I thought after the incident," this is what Drake decided to call my meeting Eloy 'the incident', "last week, I thought your dreams wouldn't be so violent."

"What are they supposed to be?"

"I've only been with you for over a moon cycle and I don't think there has been a night when you didn't speak in your sleep. Maybe the undead has possessed you and tries to speak through you?" I wasn't sure how serious he was being, but the cold mask he wore wouldn't tell me.

I threw the comforter off of me and walked into the kitchen where I brewed some coffee.

"Well?" Drake's voice is high like a teacher waiting for a student to tell the truth.

"It's just nightmares of a screwed up childhood," I replied as I waited for the coffee to brew. Drake snorted as he flew around the room, landing on the counter.

It had been awhile since I dreamt of my purple-haired prince, but he wasn't really mine, was he? Maybe he was just a figment of my own imagination to protect me against all the madness faeries brought. What brought him up in my head though?

Oh right, Lowell wouldn't shut up about it for the last week since that party.

"Remind me to hit Lowell if he mentions the prince again."

"Hmph, you really are cranky without your coffee, aren't you?" Drake said as he folded his arms over his chest and walked over to me. The cloak he wore  started to drag behind him as he walked. 

I picked up one of the oranges and started peeling off the skin before ripping off a piece for Drake. He gladly ate it. I was never really sure what he ate, but he seemed to prefer fruit and the petals of roses.

"Most humans are," I said as I got my coffee and sipped it out of the mug. I sat on the counter and sat cross legged.

"What causes your nightmares?" Drake asked as he sat next to me and ate a piece of the orange.