25. Just Us (1)

We arrived at Gia's house almost an hour late. Gia lived on what used to be a farm, miles away from any neighbors. It was surrounded by endless fields which were currently decorated for Halloween. The dirt path that lead to her house was lined with jack-o'-lanterns guiding the way.

In front of the house there were scarecrows, fog machines, tombstones and other things that gave me the creeps. Added with our isolated location, it was like a slasher movie set up.

After I parked the car Nolan and I climbed out. He hadn't said anything since we left his house. I tried getting something out of him, but he just stared blankly out of the window.

We managed to find the front door through the heavy fog that added an extra layer of creepy to everything. The minute we stepped in Nolan said he needed a drink.

Good. Maybe a drink would get him out of head. We couldn't look like we were on the verge of a break up. Not with so much at stake.

I let him do his own thing and went to find Bee. Hopefully he'd be in a better mood the next time I saw him.

Pushing through the crowd, I followed the music. The dance floor was the number one place to find Bee during a party. Sure enough I found her, her black painted lips spread into a huge grin as she danced with Gia.

Bee and Gia looked like polar opposites as they moved together. Bee was dressed in a tight black mini dress, big black wings coming out of her back, and her hair was in a slick bun. Was she an evil Tinkerbell?

Next to her, Gia was dressed as a cat. Not the sexy kind. She wore a grey cat suit and had whiskers drawn on her face. The only flashes of skin were her face and hands. She did look adorable though.

Sexy and cute. Bad and innocent. Maybe opposites really did attract. If that were the case, maybe...No!

I had to put the thought out of my mind. I needed a distraction. Something to take my mind of Nolan.

The song ended. Gia whispered something to Bee before walking away. I slipped in just before Bee started dancing to the next song. The dance floor was loud and no place to talk so Bee and I went out to the front porch.

"You're here!" He face brightened with a smile as she looked me over. "And you're a dead cheerleader! I love it. Where's the zombie quarterback?"

"Somewhere being a moody pain in my heart."

Her brow pulled together. "Heart?"

"Ass." I corrected quickly, breaking out in a sweat despite the cold breeze coming through.

The autumn leave flitted across the yard. I watched the leaves as they rode the windy roller coaster. Up, down. Up, down. I could relate.

Bee nudged me with her shoulder. "What's up?"

I looked over at my best friend, her eyes heavy with concern. It was her unofficial birthday party, she shouldn't have to worry about me and my stupid crush.

"How'd you get out of the house?" I asked, switching the subject.

"The front door, actually." A sneaky smile pulled at her lips. "I went to take the trash out and just never made it back in."

My eyes widened. "Your mom's gonna murder you."

"I know," she agreed. "And since tonight is my last night on earth, I'm going to enjoy it." She grabbed my hands, pulling me back into the house.

We squeezed our way onto the dance floor, joining the dancing bodies. A wall of body heat surrounded us. Maybe a full face of zombie make-up wasn't the best idea. I'm sure it'd all be sweated off by the end of night.

My make-up didn't matter, thought. I focused on the music, moving my body to the beat as I dancing along with Bee and Gia and anyone else within reach.

It was the distraction I needed. I couldn't let my feelings, Nolan's lack of feelings, ruin my night. After a few song I needed air. And water. And someone to massage my feet.

In the kitchen there was a keg and various bottles if alcohol in display. A game of beer pong was being played at the kitchen table. I did a double take when I saw the dark pixie cut. Hanna, dressed in a Hufflepuff robe, played against some jock and from the looks of it she was winning. Who knew she had it in her?

I was so focused on the game, when I reached into the cooler for a bottle of water I grabbed someone's hand instead.

"I don't think your boyfriend would approve of this."

I looked up, meeting the chocolate brown eyes of Nick Grice. Quickly releasing his hand, I wiped the moisture from the ice on to my skirt.

"Sorry," I said.

My opinion of him was still unclear. Ever since Nolan asked me to stay away from him I have. I think Nick may have noticed me distancing myself because he hadn't been at the store as much.

Even now I found it hard to look him in the face. Worried about what Nolan would say if he saw me talking to him.

"He told you?" He asked, eyes focused on the drinks buried in the cooler.

"Just that you couldn't be trusted."

He chuckled, grabbing a hard lemonade from the ice. "He might be right about that."

When he looked up at me there was a smirk on his lips. It wasn't malicious or evil. It was like an inside joke I wasn't in on. One that might've made sense to Nolan but left me confused. He walked away before I could ask him what he meant.

After grabbing a water I stepped out the glass door leading to the back. I almost tripped over someone who chose to take a nap on the porch. There were a few people out there some huddled up surrounded by clouds of smoke. Others looking like they were about to doze off.

A familiar laugh brought my attention to a group of people standing around lighting fireworks. Nolan was easy to spot. Maybe it was his height or the zombie make up or some unexplained connection that made my eyes go to him and only him.

Another firework went off, lighting up the sky with red sparkles. I snuck beside Nolan, watching him grinning up at the sky. It was kind of cute.

"I see you have your happy face on."

He looked down at me, wrapping an arm around my waist and pulling me into his side. "You know what, we should hang out more."

My brow creased as I stared up at him. At my confused expression, he leaned down, warm breath fanning the side of my face. "Secretly." He pulled away meeting my gaze. "Just us. Not for show, but for us."

His words were slightly slurred. I was sure I had misheard him. "What? Why?" I uttered as I tried to keep the hope building in my chest at bay. He wasn't suggesting what I thought he was, was he?

"It could be fun."

He was drunk. He didn't know what he was saying. He'd probably forget the conversation ever happened once he sobered up. I couldn't let myself fall for the words if a man who wasn't thinking straight.

"This isn't about fun, Nolan." The words came out harder than I intended them to. "It's about the prize, remember? Just the prize."

He smile didn't falter, but got wider. The smile didn't quite reach his eyes. He pulled his red cup up to his lips, taking a long sip. "How could I forget when you remind me every chance you get?"

His hand dropped from my waist and he downed the last of his drink. "I need a refill." Was all he said before disappearing into the house.

Another firework exploded up above, covering everything in a blue tint. Fitting, considering how I felt.