34. The First Game

Cohen

Deep breaths you got this. You got this I tell myself as the rest of the team and I head walking out onto the field. The lights are shining bright, the familiar feeling of the open field overwhelm me as the crowd is going crazy.

Even though I've been playing professional football for awhile this feeling never gets old. Stepping onto the turf feels like home. It's where I belong when I'm not with my girl.

It's the first game of the season and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly nervous. I'm the new quarterback and all eyes are on me. Every call to every movement I make is being watched not only by the opposing team but from the millions of fans seated around the stadium. If that's not enough to make my heart race then knowing the most beautiful woman in my life is watching me. She's seen some parts of me practicing but this will be the first time she sees me in my element and the love I truly have for this sport. I got to make her proud!

As I walk to our side of the field I hear my name being called behind me.
"You ready Matthews? You and Coleman have coin toss in two minutes." Coach Dixon tells me coming closer to the rest of us.
"Got it Coach." He nods his head as he walks by heading to another one of my teammates.

I take a quick seat on the bench tightening my laces on my cleats. I feel a large hand grip my shoulder again. "Matthews, you got this. I know you've been out the game for a little bit but you got this. You're amazing on the field. I'm not a man that likes to compliment but damn son you really got a gift for this. Shake off the nerves and show everyone why we picked you."

"Thanks coach. Means a lot. I won't disappoint."I say as I turn to see Coach Mason the offense coach at my side . He gives my shoulder a small squeeze and walks towards Coach Dixon. I definitely needed that pep talk. I'm giving it my all just like I always do. Like coach said I want and need to prove myself once again.Im captain of this team and they're depending on me, just thinking that makes my nerves slightly calm as I finish tying my laces.

The referee blows his whistle signaling for the captains. The five of us meet on the side of the field ready for the toss.

"Alright Seahawks it's heads what's your call?" The ref turns towards us.

"Kick." Wyatt and I both say before turning back to the our side of the field after telling our opponents good luck.

We all took our positions on the field. The sound of the roaring crowd quiets letting the whistle of the referee blare around us. It's go time!

You got this Matthews. Show them what you're made of.

We're at the end of the fourth quarter and I can't wipe the smile off my face.We're up by thirty points and we only have two minutes left, I know the game is completely ours. Not saying the team were against is trash but their quarterback can't seem to make the right calls leading to the rest of the team being uncoordinated and predictable.

I would've liked a better challenge to prove myself but I know I still have time with the teams we play against later.

My offensive teammates and I take the field ready to take the win. I yell out the play turning my head left and right seeing all of them give a nod signaling they heard me.The whistle blows making my center snap the ball to me then play begins. I pass the ball off to Wyatt before he turns seeing the perfect opening he dives through with his large build. His grip on the ball is like a vise as he cradled it to his chest. He passes the other team under a few seconds. The loud cheers in the stadium tell me the play worked perfectly and we won our first game of the season.

We all run towards Wyatt yelling and cheering in excitement. A few moments later we collect ourselves and shake our opposing teams hands. "Good game" is thrown around then a strong grip takes my hand. I look up feeling sweat trickle down my forehead.