Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

You had separated from him, but both you and Quince stayed sitting on the floor. You hugged your knees to your chest while you waited for him to speak, the seconds seeming to carry on for hours.

"She's...the deader than the dead we are now," he said, not moving his gaze from the floor.

You were silent for a minute before you could bring yourself to respond, "What do you mean?"

"I mean she—I mean she's dead. Like gone for real, her soul turned to total dust. She went through the attic door... She got the consequences."

"I don't understand," your brows furrowed.

He finally looked to you, an unsure expression on his face, "The attic is the way out and one of the only ways left for us to truly die. Her body turned to shreds and her soul evaporated."

"I don't get why she was even looking for it! And why did she go through?" you frowned, your words cracking more the longer you spoke.

"With everyone concentrating on you, she had plenty of time to look for the attic. She didn't listen when I tried to stop her, either."

"Why? Why is the focus on me?" you began tearing up. "She is just as interesting and as pretty as me. Why me?"

Quince chuckled, "But she's not you. Can you really define or justify love to me? Any definition or answer you can come up with won't be sufficient. Trust me, I've thought about it for a long time. The reason We love you is because You are you... and I am me. There are qualities to admire of course, but at the end of the day, you're the one who insisted on bonding with everyone. Not her."

You looked to the floor. This really isn't what you wanted this conversation to turn into. Not now. Not with this news. "She's...gone?"

"Like dust swept out the door."

"And you didn't warn her about what would happen?"

"Oh, I did, trust me. She found the attic and I was alerted instantly. I told her what would happen, but she left anyway. Like I said... She has no trust. She really didn't believe me," he sighed. "I think she's had it out for me since the start."

"I don't know...what to say," you said slowly, the tears falling more. Part of you already knew this. Jenna was looking for an escape, but the only escape from this death is to lose consciousness entirely. What Quince said made sense, and that had to be the worst of it. You had no doubt that he was telling you the truth.

That she was really gone.

"I'm sorry, (y/n)," he said softly, scooting closer to you to put a hand on your shoulder. You leaned into the touch until you were hugging him entirely. You were glad when he hugged you back, even though you were embarrassed to stain his shirt with your tears. Your head began to ache.

"We have to tell everyone else," you sobbed into his chest. It was an ugly cry.

"If you want to go rest, I'll break the news to them," he offered. You thought about it...resting sounded nice but felt wrong.

"I think I should come with, at least. I should see this mess to the end," you said firmly, separating from him. It would be weird if you weren't at least there for Don. You felt like you three have...had an inherent bond. You, Jenna, and Don were like...siblings? In a weird way? You weren't sure what it was. Like there was a certain level of softness reserved for both of them that couldn't be explained.