89. Stranger Things

Caroline walked out of the bathroom wrapped in a towel. When she saw Riley, sitting cross-legged on her bed in the same position she'd been in for the last 48 hours, she groaned.

"Come on, Riles," she said. "If you were gonna see something, you would have seen it by now."

Riley kept her head down and her eyes closed when she answered. "I'm seeing things. I just don't know if I'm seeing what I'm supposed to be seeing."

Caroline folded her arms. "You're seeing a completely deserted Mystic Falls. I think it's safe to say that Bonnie and Damon aren't living there anymore."

Riley sighed, lying down on her bed. It was true, the only thing she could see when she tried to connect to either Bonnie or Damon was a deserted version of their town, but it had to mean something... didn't it?

"Oh, and just so you know, you're off the hook," Caroline told her sister. "Stefan told Elena the truth about her memories. About Damon."

Riley sat up way too quickly. "What?! She knows that she loved him?" Caroline nodded. "So what? Is Ric giving the memories back to her?"

Caroline sat down on the bed opposite Riley's. "Maybe someday. But right now, she's decided that she doesn't want them. She thinks that forgetting Damon is the only way that she can be truly happy."

Riley nodded uneasily, not sure what to make of Elena's decision.

"And... how do you feel about that?" Caroline asked slowly. "Because I'd understand if you never wanted Elena to get the memories back."

Riley rolled her eyes. "What? You think I want Elena to forget about him forever so that I can have the sole claim to him?"

Caroline shook her head defiantly. "No. But you're hell-bent on finding a way to bring Damon back. And if we do bring him back, and Elena gets her memories back, then they're gonna go right back to where they were before. I've never been in love with someone that I couldn't have, and I really don't want that for you."

Riley smiled sadly. "He loves Elena, Care. It's always been her. More than anything, I want him to be happy. I'm not trying to get him back because I'm in love with him... I want him back because he's my best friend. And whether I love him as a friend, or something more than that, I don't want to live without him."

Caroline nodded, wondering how her sister could be so selfless. She was sure that Damon was only in love with Elena because he'd never allowed himself to see anyone else in that way. It made the blonde vampire wonder what would happen if he ever found out Riley's true feelings.

There was an unexpected knock at the door. Caroline opened it and immediately jumped back.

"Stefan? Where have you-?"

Stefan walked into the room, wheeling a huge black trunk behind him.

"If you're moving in, we don't have enough room," Riley told him starkly. Caroline opened the case, saw a human inside of it, and shrieked. Well, maybe not a human exactly.

"Ivy?" Riley asked incredulously. The girl stood up, climbed out of the trunk and fixed her eyes on Riley's neck. Veins formed under her eyes. "Vampire Ivy?!"

"How did this happen?" Caroline asked Stefan, who still hadn't said a word to explain why he was there.

"Enzo turned her," he revealed. "So, I need a little bit of help."

Caroline widened her eyes doubtfully. "No. No no no."

"Just watch her for a while," Stefan pleaded. "While I get Luke to make her a daylight ring. Y'know, show her the ropes, teach her some control."