chapter 1- The Land Of The Living

Stranger’s POV

Mourners gathered around her grave, the priest read her life as if he knew what atrocities led up to her death, but he didn’t mention one of them he only told the story of her life before the unjust actions which fell before her happened. Police men and distant friends gathered around her grave, but none of her near friends or her loved ones gathered at the funeral to wish away her life. It was tragic how could a life devoted to helping those who didn’t deserve it, could be so easily discarded. Soon the dearly gathered threw holy grounded onto the lowered coffin half-heartedly. I bared my teeth as I saw the unjust nature of the people who had come to mourn her death, they didn’t care that she died, they only where there to be seen as respectable. I growled under my breath as a selfish and a self-loathing man stepped up to her grave from the shadows and threw bleached white lilies into her grave. His eyes caught mine only briefly as he turned away from the sight before him. What a pathetic man, how could she have ever loved a man like that? He didn’t care for her; he had no conviction in his eyes, he just left without even a second glance at her grave.

I stood in the shadows waiting for night to fall, my men had gathered around her grave. None of them knew my plan of resurrection. She didn’t deserve to die, and only I could rectify this heinous crime, which was caused by selfishness. I was only man alive who could bring her back to life; I was the only man who was immortal, I had the remedy which could rid her of this death and bring her back to life. Night came as I thick sheet as the sky was black and starless, yet still the moon shone through the thick cloud bank. Soon my men began to push shovels into the dense ground of her grave, to some this would seem disrespectful as we were desecrating holy ground, but what is more important a miracle or leaving an innocent soul to rot. Soon the dull thud of metal hitting wood revealed the dearly departed body. The coffin was raised out of the ground to my feet; the lid was lifted to reveal a beautiful woman even in death. Her pale white face shone in the dark light of the moon, each little scar which covered her face glowed remarkably as it showed the pain she had gone through in life.

The warriors of the demons head lifted her fragile body out of the coffin and lowered her into my arms. It was unjust to let anyone so beautiful and innocent die, it was cruel and unruly. The dark night covered our movements as we descended lower and lower into Gotham’s unfavourable history. Soon we were into the depths of old Gotham, skeletons of old Gotham’s inhabitants littered the area which led to the demons head gate. The warriors pushed open the gate revealing my men expecting my return. “Sir, the Lazarus pit is ready.” The man gave a curt short bow and sped off into the shadowed remains of the old city. My warriors followed swiftly behind me as we grew closer to the Lazarus pit. The liquid which filled the pit moved like waves, it was time to give the miracle of life to the dead.

“Darius.” I called one of my many warriors to my side, “hold her.” he nodded and waited with open arms for the deceased. I gently laid her in his arms as I shrugged off my ivy coloured hooded cape and unbuttoned my ruffled white shirt. I once again lifted the woman into my arms, and began to walk into the Lazarus pit. I stood waist deep in the pit and announced my great miracle, “today you will witness the resurrection of the dearly departed by my hand.” Warriors kneeled around the pit as I fully immersed myself and the innocent into the sacred waters of the Lazarus pit. The water felt like an electric current running through my veins with each breath I took of the power filled water. Soon I could feel the reanimation of the body in my arms. Soon the body began to thrash in the liquid of immortality, as it was desperately seeking air. I lifted us both from the pit. Air rushed into our lungs, but more so into the lungs of the living, her eyes were wide with shock as she breathed heavily in my arms. He clutched to my shoulders as if I was her life line, but no I was much, much more than that. I was the one to bring her back to life. “She’s alive!” I cried out as I brushed away her deep red hair from her beautiful face. Her pale pink lips opened as she breathed in the air around her, soon her breathing calmed. Her dark blue eyes latched onto mine as she looked at me deeply, her lips shook as she tried to utter words, “am I dead?” I could see tears gather in her eyes, I chuckled deeply and smiled caringly down at her, “no, you are far from it Ashleigh.” She smiled lightly up at me as I pulled us out of the water and into the land of the living.