4.4 - Island - Orange

Chloe's POV

'Perfect timing!' I say to Izz as soon as I pick, once I'm in my room.

'Can't tell if you're serious or sarcastic.'

'Me neither to be honest!'

'What was going on?'

'I think Niall and I were about to kiss.'

'What? Oh My God! I'm so sorry!'

'No it's fine! I didn't have to pick up, but then... I don't know I freaked out and used it as an excuse to get out of there.'

'Why!!!'

'I don't know. It just kept happening throughout the weekend. Each time we get close or like flirt or anything remotely out of our comfort zone, something gets in the way, or he suddenly changes the subject. And now the phone call. I just keep thinking maybe this is a bad idea and we shouldn't get involved like that.'

'You're being ridiculous! You're just scared! It's okay. But there's nothing wrong with you and Niall getting involved. Especially if he has feelings for you like you have for him.'

'I don't know that he has.'

'He was going to kiss you! Why would he do that if he doesn't have feelings for you? He hasn't said anything before? The whole trip? He didn't say anything? You said you flirted...'

'I mean he has said some stuff, but it was always moments. Like when we were in this beautiful place, or in the pub drinking, or cuddling on his while watching 10 things I hate about you? He wasn't in his right mind.'

'I don't know why you dumb yourself down when it comes it to love. He was exactly in his right mind. Those moments were pure moments of true feelings. Whatever he said, he meant it. It's moments like these, the subconscious takes over and all the things that would usually hold you back just disappears. I'm sure you said some stuff that you wouldn't in normal circumstances.'

'I did...'

'And did you mean what you said?'

'Of course, I did. Doesn't mean I should've said them.'

'Yeah, but they are true. Just like his. So he does has feelings for you. But just like you, there's something holding him back. And if you keep avoiding the inevitable, you're both losing a lot! So go back over there and kiss him already!'

'Okay, maybe you do have a point, but I'm not doing that last bit. It's too late for today.'

'If you were here in London right now you wouldn't have gotten away with it.'

'Too bad I'm in Ireland then! I'll talk to you later. Bye!'

Niall's POV

Once the event is over, I have one last night with Clo before we go back to London. I have to make the most of it. Yesterday we were so close. I stopped overthinking, I forgot about the world, it was just me and her, and it was amazing, and it could've been even more amazing because for the first time I didn't feel scared to make a move. But her phone rang and she answered it and she never came back until this morning. I didn't mention it, neither did she. We just acted as if nothing happened. 

So I decided after dinner I take her to one of the local recording studios in the area.

'It's late are they even open?' She asks me.

'It's half past 8. We have about an hour and a half before they close.'

'Alright, but why did you bring me here?'

'I just thought, I never really played you anything. We always sing along together the songs playing but it was never just me and whatever instrument with no backing track or any other sound.'

'Oh, I get it now!'

'Because I just explained it?'

'No, it's nothing you just said. You're trying to impress me again!'

'Well... yeah, maybe I am. Just let me do my thing okay?'

'Sure. Whatever you need.' She laughs.

We get to the room, I make sure to lock the door behind me so we wouldn't be interrupted again. I walk over to the piano and sit there. She follows but instead of taking a chair she sits nearby on the floor, crossing her legs, and a bit excited smile on her face.

'Any requests?'

'Surprise me!'

I start playing So Long and singing along.

Looking back through changes where we started from. Don't know about you but I knew it wasn't wrong. You know I kept a place For you in my mind And I know you did the same 'Cause you're just that kind. So if we knew all along, Why did it take so long? We've known since we were young So why did it take so long? You know you make me feel loved, Make me feel like I'm home. So if we knew all along Why did it take so long?

I look back and forth between the piano and then into her eyes while singing, especially when I sing "You make me feel loved, make me feel like I'm home" bit because it's true, she does have that effect on me.

'Wanna try it out? Play the piano?' I ask her.

'Nah, I think I'll just stick to writing.'

'I'll help you out, It's an easy one, very repetitive.'

She sighs but the smile never leaving her face, and stands up, walking over to me. I slide on the chair making enough room for her to sit on as well.

'Okay, this is from the new album, it goes like this.'

I play the first couple of chords and then gently grab both of her hands, positioning her fingers on the correct keys. Keeping my hands above hers, I guide her as we play the chords together. I show her the rest, and soon enough, she's doing it all by herself, even if I don't let go of her hand. I sing along while she plays, it's just another love ballad, but I didn't write it about a specific person, it was more of a story that I thought of. But now I'm kinda hoping it would be our story, that we'll actually be together away from all the pain.

Once the chorus is done, her hands slip away from under mine. I look at her, she's looking back at me, the same sweet smile that never left all night long, but her eyes are a bit misty. Is it the song? Did she tear up? 

I slowly push the hair away from her face, putting it behind her ear, then settle my hand on her cheek, looking into her eyes, staring back into mine. This is it, the moment from yesterday I've been meaning to recreate, the reason I brought her here. I just need to be brave enough. The warmth of her hand suddenly holding mine as they rest on her lap, gives me that push I needed. I slowly lean in, closing my eyes as she closes hers, catching her lips with mine, holding onto each other like magnets, moving along in sync, slowly, softly, sweetly, just like everything she is. The perfect moment I've been waiting for. I get lost into this moment, into her. But eventually, I have to pull back, at least to breathe. But I'm afraid if we stop the moment would be gone forever. 

She pulls away, with a small lip bite, her eyes never leaving mine. I don't know what to say. So instead, I do what I do best. Music. I turn back to the piano and play random keys. A melody forming, no words, no lyrics, just a soft and sweet melody, just like her. She's pinching her bottom lip and biting on her nail as if she's not believing what just happened. I honestly can barely believe it myself. But her eyes never left mine, and that sweet smile never faded away, a reminder that it did indeed happen and a sign that she's happy. She's happy and I made that happen.

Sadly, time's up. The studio is closing, and we have to get back to the hotel. Tomorrow we're going back to London. I wish we could stay ever where everything is perfect.