34

The next morning Maddie looked like complete hell, she couldn't function, after the call from her sister she hung up the phone

The next morning Maddie looked like complete hell, she couldn't function, after the call from her sister she hung up the phone. She explained it to Justin and then asked to be alone, she barley got any sleep and her whole morning she was late for everything, then she was met by Clay. "Hey, Maddie, I need to talk to you." Maddie sighed and looked at the distraught boy. "Yeah, yeah sure Clay what is it?" She asked smoothing back her hair and Clay took in her apperance. "I heard the tape about Jessica's party, was-was she talking about you?" Clay didn't want to think Maddie went through what he was told she was, he liked Maddie and even if he didn't she shouldn't have been put through that. "What? Clay, no. And what she said happened didn't."
"Is that what Justin told you?" Clay asks his tone hard. "Yes, after Jessica told me the same thing." Clay nodded and ran after Jessica to talk.
---
"Jessica, if that was you she was talking about I want to help." Clay says as he tries to catch his breath.
"Clay, that's not how it happened, we were both pretty drunk so we crashed right after, it's-we were both just messed up." Jessica defends and Clay squints. "Who's we?" He asks and Jessica sighs looking guilty. "Justin.." Clay stares at her wide eyes. "But Maddie and him were-" Jessica stops him with a nod. "Yeah, they were together and so were Alex and I. Neither of us have feelings for each other and it would just hurt the others so we decided not to bring it up. And you won't either." Jessica says going to leave but Clay's tone stops her. "Is that what you remember or is that what Justin told you?" Jessica turns back around and lies straight through her teeth. "I remember it. And even if I didn't why would Justin lie to make me think that we both cheated?" Jessica asks offended and Clay rolls his eyes. "One you both drop it and nobody finds out. The other his friend goes to jail and most likely him, and he looses Maddie, which one sounds more appealing?"
---
Maddie stands outside the wall of their class waiting for the bell between Zach and Justin when her phone rings. "Is it her again?" Zach asks hating that her sister was trying to call Maddie, she nods seeing the same number and finally answers. "Listen, Mackenzie, you can't keep calling my phone. And I'm in school right now so-" Maddie's words got cut off by a voice she thought she'd never hear again. "This isn't Mackenzie. And you shouldn't talk to your sister like that." Maddie swallows before speaking but Justin and Zach could sense something different now. "She's not my sister. And neither of you are supposed to be talking to me because-" Once again her words were cut off by the same voice. "You better not raise that tone with me young lady. I am your mother and I will have respect." Maddie sniffles and figits a little before she speaks. "You aren't my mother." Maddie hung up but not before her voice cracked. "Mad-" Justin and Zach both started speaking but Maddie shook her head. "Can we please not talk about it right now?" Maddie asked wiping her eyes and the boys both nodded and Maddie tried to figure out how to tell Justin about her conversation with Clay this morning.

Maddie sat in her chair beside both Zach and Justin and as the teach started talking Clay walked in and started apologizing to the teacher. "Ms. Bradley I wanted to let you know that I'm sorry about what I said yeserday with Hannah writing that note. I wasn't trying to say it was your fault." Ms. Bradley smiles and begins to speak but gets cut off once again by Clay. "People need to take responsiblity for their actions, and face the consequences one way or another." Ms. Bradley thanked Clay and let him walk off to his seat. "What the fuck was that?" Justin muttered and Maddie looked down before speaking loud enough for only Zach and Justin to hear her. "He uhm, he thought I was the girl in the tape..the one about Jessicas party.." Justin and Zach both look at each other before looking to her. "What the hell did he say?" Zach asks and Justin looks at her. "What did you say?" Justin asks. "He just asked if it was me, and I told him no, and I also told him it was about Jessica but nothing happened, but I don't know if he believed me." Maddie said looking down and Justin sighs before reaching over to take her hand in his, he sighed at the warmth of just her hand, she always had some way to make him feel safe, so why did he feel like now he wasn't safe?