Defence against the dark arts

"Line up against the wall, students. Hurry, hurry!" Instructed the professor.

Katherine stood next to a boy with white hair. "Hello I'm Abraxas Malfoy, pureblood." He said with pride.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Ka-" Katherine started but was cut off.

"Katherine Sloan. Yes, I know. The entire school knows you."

"Is it because I'm a transfer student?" She asks

"That and because there is a rumour going around about you." Abraxas replied.

Katherine sighed. "What rumour?" She asked in a bored voice.

"They say that you got kicked out of your old school because you got caught in a closet with your professor doing..."

Katherine shrugged. " I have had worse things said about me. Besides, it's not like it's true."

" I'm surprised you're not transferring out of this school already."

"I just got here and I don't want to leave anytime soon."

He smiled and looked into her eyes. "Good."

"You two stop flirting and listen to what I'm saying!!" Screamed the professor. Katherine could see Malfoy's face turn a little pink.

"Since you all are in you're last year at Hogwarts, we will be duelling." The professor instructed. "Any spells and curses can be used ,obviously except unforgivable curses. You may get extremely injured so if you do not wish to duel, please leave now. But it will effect your grade."

Most of the girls made their way out of the room.

"Alright then! Choose your partner."

Everyone ran to their closest friend in the room and avoided duelling Tom who stood alone. Katherine looked around and realized that the only other person who didn't have a partner was Tom. He smirked and made his way over to her. Her heart started racing and her palms became sweaty.

Calm down Katherine! He can't be that powerful yet, he is only a student like yourself. He may be evil but YOU Katherine are a master at non verbal magic!

That calmed her down.

" I won't be going easy on you" he said in a deadpan voice.

Katherine nodded. " I wouldn't want you too." She said trying to be brave.

" Find a spot and begin!" Yelled the professor.

Tom walked to the centre of the room and Katherine followed him. They bow and begin.

"Expelliarmis!" Yelled Tom.

Katherine easily dodged it using a non verbal spell. He looked surprised. "Non verbal magic. I must say that I'm impressed."

"Diffindo!" She shouted but Tom used a spell to deflect it.

"Is that the best you can do?" He smirked. He used non verbal magic and sent a ball of fire at Katherine.

" Anapneo!" She yelled and the fire separated before it reached her.

" I thought that you weren't going to go easy on me." She said smiling.

A evil grin appeared on his face making her heart sink. "Serpensortia!" He shouted and a snake appeared in front of him. He whispered things in parcelmouth and sent the snake towards Katherine.

Katherine smirked. She speaked parcelmouth and sent the snake back at Tom. He looked at her dumbfounded. He shouted things at the snake and so did she. It stopped in the middle unsure of who to obey.

"Expulso!" Shouted Katherine, the snake burned and turned into ashes.

"Aguamenti" she whispered. A handful of water hits Tom in the face and Katherine burst out laughing.

"You think this is funny?" He said in a furious voice.

Katherine nodded still laughing.

"Let's see how you like this." He said and created a large amount of fire that took a shape of a serpent and sent it towards Katherine. She acted quickly. Katherine created a large amount of water that also takes the shape of a serpent and directed it towards Tom. The two serpents collided with eachother. Tom lifted up his wand and increased the amount of fire. Katherine did the same with her water. The two elements fought for dominance but the magic is equally matched. The water and fire met perfectly in the middle of Tom and Katherine.

Katherine could feel herself becoming weaker with each second. She noticed that Tom looked like he wasn't going to last much longer either. They soon both collapsed onto the floor, out of breath and energy.

Katherine heard claps coming from around her. She looked up and noticed that the others in the room, including the professor, had astonished and amazed looks in their faces. Her vision started to go black.

Not just yet

She lifted up her wand. "Expelliarmus." She whispered and Tom's wand flew into her hand. Katherine looked at Tom and saw him go incautious. She let the darkness surround her.