4

"Who the fuck are you texting?" Neil angrily grabbed my phone. He scrolled through the screen.

"Who the fuck is Jason?" He flashed the phone in front of my face, darkness taking over his iris. My heart thumped against my chest, instinctively bringing my hands up.

"He's part of my study group. We are setting up one last session before finals!" I swallowed hard. His tongue made a dance inside his mouth, as it combed across his top teeth. And he dropped the phone in my lap.

"I don't want you talking to him again." He demanded.

"What? It's innocent.... we are study...."

"He's a man! He only wants one thing from you. And you're mine! You got that?"

Watching him possessively stomp around the alley screaming my name. Made all the memories play like a broken record. I had been so blind, thinking his macho man routine was normal.

Healthy

He was anything but. He was possessive and if I hadn't caught him red-handed cheating on me. I would have been so brainwashed and hopeless; I would have married him. He tried though. Tried to gaslight me into thinking it was my fault and he loved me, hell, I even played into it for a few days. He bought me flowers, candies, anything he could think of to make me think he had changed or felt bad.

But Neil never felt bad, never showed an ounce of remorse. And the proof was in Tiffany's stomach. I tried to warn her. I tried to give her a small clue that Neil was scum and she needed to run, but she never did. And in all honesty, he blinded her with his charm.
A few empty bottles of beer smashed in the distance. Followed by Neil's shrill cries, hollering my name.

"Mercccccyyyyy!!! You bitch!" My body trembled at the name he used. Flooding memories into my brain. More nightmares I tried to push to the back of my mind. I'd gotten rid of him six months ago. I'm done with being called a bitch or a whore or accused of things I didn't do. And here he was saying again. My eyes clamped shut at the thoughts and hot tears threatened to spill over.

"Second time I've saved you today, princess." C.J. gruffly said, his body still hovering over mine protectively. His body blocking my view and hopefully, Neil's too.

I swallowed hard, "despite what you've seen, I'm not a damsel in distress. I can take care of myself...." My voice shattered, spitting those words out. I wasn't a damsel, I had come too far to be a damsel.

He scoffed at my words, puffing in a long drag of his cigarette. "I don't know what I ever saw in him." I let my head rest against the brick wall almost surprised C.J. hadn't removed himself from me yet.

He angled the cigarette towards me and I took a drag. "You're not a damsel, you were quick enough to get away from that." He pointed down the alley. Where Neil was still shouting and his voice was getting closer again, echoing off the walls. His threats became more heinous with every drunken step he took.

I took a few long drags before handing the cigarette back to him and just shook my head.

"Yeah-he's a ray of sunshine." I muttered, rolling my eyes. Swallowing the burning lump in my throat, as his voice got closer and closer again. His feet dragging against the concrete in his drunken stooper. I retracted a little hearing his feet stop in the alleyway's opening we were hiding in.

"You!" Neil shouted in a slur. I looked up at C.J. in a panic my body trembling more, vibrating in fear at Neil's rage.

I knew C.J. could probably beat Neil to a pulp, probably send him to his grave in one punch. That'd be nice. But I feared what Neil would do. Here I was pressed up against C.J.'s body and Neil was crazy. Fucking crazy. And belligerently drunk. For some odd reason, infatuated with me. Still. Even after six months of not dating.