26

Ruka (3)

I met Sokka at the cell my father is being held in with Hiko at my side. When Sokka saw the both of us, he widened his eyes.

"Don't worry, he's with me." I said. Hiko lifted up his mask and held his hand out for Sokka to shake. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Hiko."

"Uh, yeah." Sokka shook his hand slowly. "Nice to meet you too. Ready?"

I nodded, turning my head to Hiko. "Just knock on the door if anyone's coming."

Sokka opens the cell door and I walk in after him. then shut it behind me. My father was sitting on a mattress, his head down.

"Thank goodness you're okay!" Sokka said. My father quickly stood up in a fighting stance. "If you take one step closer, you'll see just how okay I am."

Sokka and I both lift up our masks with a smile. "Dad, it's us." I said.

My father instantly got teary eyed and grinned. "My children." He pulls us both into a tight hug and I didn't want him to let go.

"I'm sorry for the way I acted the last time we saw each other." I apologized. "I was just so upset and-"

"Don't apologize." My father's voice was low and sincere. "I don't blame you." When I pulled away, he looked me up and down with a smile. "Ruka, you look so much healthier. And your hair has grown."

He then looked at Sokka and lightly laughed. "Y'know Sokka, you should be more careful with that guard outfit on. I almost punched you in the gut."

Sokka rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah, I almost ran into that problem earlier." He then turned around and peeked outside before all three of us took a seat on the floor.

"So, where's Bato? Where's everyone else from the invasion?" My brother asked.

"The others are being held at a prison near the Fire Nation Palace. They singled me out as their leader and sent me here. But before I left, I met some young women who said they knew you. The Ocean Nama-Fighters?"

Sokka cocked a brow. "You mean the Kyoshi Warriors?"

My father wearily smiled. "That's right."

"Their leader Suki is here and she's gonna escape with us."

"Good. We'll need all the help we can get."

"And you know Prince Zuko?"

"The Son of the Fire Lord? I don't know him but I know of him."

I shrugged. "Eh, probably better that way."

"Well, here's too." Sokka said. My father crossed his arms. "Sounds like a major problem."

"Actually, he's on our side now." My brother smirked. My father furrowed his brows, clearly not convinced. Sokka nodded slowly, "I know. I had the same reaction. After all he's done, it was hard to trust him. But he's really proven himself and we never would've found you without his help."

My father only nodded, accepting Sokka's defense to Zuko. "So, do you have a plan?"

"We had one, but some of the other prisoners got involved and ruined it." Sokka frowned. I sighed, "If we had ended up going with them, we would've ended up in a worse position. But, that was really the only way off the island. We're kinda screwed now."

"Kids," My father put both of his arms around the two of us and smirked. "There's no prison in the world that can hold three Water Tribe geniuses."

"Then we better find a few." Sokka joked. I playfully nudged him while my father laughed.

>>>

After leaving my father's cell, Hiko pulled me to the side and looked around before whispering, "The princess and her friends are here. One of them is looking for you."

I widened my eyes. "Me? Why?"

"I don't know. But she's in the last cell on the second floor with Zuko."

The only person who would want him and me is...

"Mai." I breathed out. Hiko furrowed his brows, "Huh?"

"I- I have to go. Sokka is still in there so make sure he knows I'm safe. I'll meet up with everyone as soon as I can." I turned to leave and sprinted toward the second floor.

She could tell me what really happened. She'll give me all the answers. But if the escape plan doesn't happen today, then I'll be caught and end up in another cell.

But it's worth a shot.

When I reached the cell, I slowly slid open the metal door. In the middle of the cell, Zuko sat in a wooden chair. Next to him was Mai.

"I said to give me a few minutes." Mai said. In her hand was an open scroll with writing on it. It was Zuko's hand writing.

I took off my helmet, which made Zuko's eyes widen. "Ruka!? What are you doing?"

"I need answers." I said before pointing to Mai. "And you can give me them."

Mai smirked. "So you're the tramp my boyfriend fell in love with. I expected more to be quite honest with you."

I ignored her insult. Instead I glanced at the paper and pointed to it. "What did he say?"

Mai narrowed her eyes at me before picking up the scroll to read. "Dear Mai, I'm sorry that you have to find out this way, but I'm leaving."

"Stop!" Zuko yelled. I shook my head quickly, "No. Let her finish."

"Everything I do now is for the Fire Nation and for Ruka. I hope you understand, good luck." Mai then threw the scroll to Zuko's head and I watched him flinch. "You could've at least looked me in the eye before you ripped out my heart."

"I did! I told you that I was in love with someone else but you still wanted to be with me."

"Thanks Zuko, that makes me feel all better."

"He didn't just leave for me." I said. "He left for the Fire Nation, too. Not everything is about you."

"But everything is about you, right?" She then scoffed as she shook her head. "Fine, I knew he didn't love me anymore. I had him back so I convinced him to work things out. But he wasn't the same Zuko. He was sweeter and softer and worried about everything. I knew it was because of you. He changed for you. It's always been for you!"

"And for my country!" Zuko argued. "I have to save my country."

Mai clenched her fists. "Save it!? You're betraying your country!"

"That's not how I see it." He responded. She crossed her arms and looked away.

"Ma'am, there's a riot going on, I'm here to protect you!" A guard said, clearly out of breath from running around.

"I don't need any protection." Mai said.

"I'm sorry but I'm under direct orders from your uncle to make sure nothing happens-"

Before the guard could finish, Zuko grabbed my hand then fire bends at the guards feet. The guard rushes to protect Mai as Zuko and I run out of the cell.

Zuko shuts it closed and we wasted no time to get to the yard to meet up with the others.