twenty-three

"Done," Clary mused with a satisfied smile, placing her trunk on top of her bed, where it would be moved to the Hogwarts Express before the train was set to depart that morning. She looked around the empty dormitory fondly, all of the other girls already having left when they were finished packing, and stepped out into the stairwell, shutting the door behind her. Two more years, and she would be walking out of the castle for the last time.

Clary descended the final staircase, her eyes landing on a disheveled-looking man in his usual tattered robes standing near the entrance to the castle, watching as students piled outside and towards where the train awaited in Hogsmeade Station. She stopped next to Professor Lupin, looking up at him in awe and crossing her arms over her chest.

"Hi, Professor." she said, pulling the man from his thoughts.

"Hello, Miss Weasley." he said, turning around to face her and revealing the scratches across his face, as well as the deep purple bags under his eyes. "I've looked worse, believe me. I'm alright." he explained, amused at her widened eyes in reaction to his appearance.

"So it was you the whole time." she said, eyeing him intently. "You, Sirius and the others were our heroes ever since we found the map, and we never even knew. And just think, this entire time one of the makers of the Marauder's Map was living in my house as my brother's pet rat."

He gave the girl a proud grin. "We were young once too, Miss Weasley. Oh, the trouble we used to cause." he mused, smiling fondly at the old memories.

"But I have so many questions." she said. "How did you do it? Who came up with the idea for the map? Why the codenames? What all was the map used for?"

"I'm happy to confirm you and your brothers used the map for its true purpose." he said. "Mischief. We needed to make sure that we wouldn't be caught. If we had been, I doubt I still would've been made a Prefect. The codenames were just silly nicknames we gave each other back in school. I take it you found out about my.... condition." he trailed off, and Clary nodded in confirmation. "Anyways, when they found out, they didn't want me going through my transformations alone, so they became Animagi. We used to roam the grounds together on those nights. The moon is obvious enough. Padfoot for the dog, Wormtail for the rat, and Prongs for the stag."

"When did you know?" she asked. "That Sirius was innocent, I mean."

"Harry mentioned seeing Pettigrew on the map." Lupin explained. "I knew then that, whatever happened all those years ago, Sirius wouldn't have killed Peter."

"So what happens now?" Clary asked.

"I sent in my resignation." he explained, causing the girl's eyes to widen once more. "Now that word's gotten out about my condition, I don't expect parents would be overly fond of someone like me teaching their children."

"They don't know what they're talking about." she insisted. "We finally have a professor who knows what he's talking about, who cares if you change once a month? We're not in any danger when you do."

"Thank you, Miss Weasley," he said, a kind smile gracing his face, "but I'm afraid you're one of only a few who believe so. I'll be alright, I promise. And whatever Pettigrew's up to..." he trailed off. "I fear we'll find out soon enough."

"Clary!" a voice exclaimed, and she and Lupin turned to see Newt and Vasantha bounding back into the castle. "There you are!" The Scamander twins threw their arms around their uncle, hugging him tightly.

"Bye Uncle Remus." Vasantha said.

"Have a great summer, you three." he said with a smile. "Don't get in too much trouble, now."

"No promises!" Vasantha said with an innocent smile, throwing an arm around both Clary and Newt's shoulders and leading the three out of the castle, bidding their goodbyes to Professor Lupin.

Clary caught one last glimpse of the man before he retreated back into the castle, her mind swarming with the knowledge he had divulged about the Marauder's back in their school days. From what he had told her, they seemed so close. However, one of them betrayed them all, leading to the death of another, framing the third and forcing him to go into hiding, leaving Moony all on his own.

"So what happens now?" Newt asked as they walked down the trail towards Hogsmeade, students running to and fro while spending their last few moments on the castle grounds.

"I don't know." Clary said as Oliver approached the group, pulling Vasantha into a hug and giving her a quick kiss. "I'm sure I have an entire summer ahead of me to work on new pranks, so be sure to look out next year."

"I heard pranks." another voice chimed in, and Clary turned to see Cedric catching up to the group. "I assume you're talking about me."

"Don't flatter yourself, Diggory." Clary said, rolling her eyes and suppressing a grin as they continued their trek down the hill, the whistle of the Hogwarts Express sounding from below.

The group reached Hogsmeade Station, and the Hogwarts Express finally came into view, students hurrying to get onboard before its departure. Fred, George and Lee were already waiting for them at the station and Clary led them onto the train, finding an empty compartment near the middle. She instantly plopped down into the window seat, Cedric sitting next to her and Vasantha across from her.

"Who's up for some Exploding Snap?" George asked, shutting the compartment door behind him as Fred pulled the game from his bag.

"I'm in," Newt said.

"So more interning at the Ministry for you this summer?" Clary asked as her brothers set up the game, her eyes landing on Cedric, and the boy nodded.

"That's the plan." he confirmed. "Though, I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point. Ottery St. Catchpole's a small place."

"Then I'd watch your back." she said with a devilish grin.

"I hope you'll write to me, at least." he said.

Clary shrugged, the grin never once fading. "If you're lucky."

"Promise me," he said.

"Okay, okay," she sighed. "I promise."

"It's funny." he said with a smirk as the train began to pull out of the station. "I never thought I'd say this, but I might actually miss you pranking me this summer."

"Oh, I'll make you regret saying that." she chided. "Mark my words."