Chapter Twenty-One: Shopping Spree in Faerie Markets

Twisty, twisty, twisty, baby, baby, baby girly, girl!

I tried screaming at the top of my lungs, but nothing came out as I fell through the warm darkness. My fingers desperately tried to reach out and grab something. The air felt hot and went through my fingers like warm silk. The world was silent for a moment before a flash of white blinded me. Pain shot through both feet like I jumped too high and I landed on the ground too hard. It was the sort of pain that started at the ball of my heels and shot through my bones. T

Silence broke and I heard a roar of noises. There was talking, singing, laughing, creaking, horses, whispering, hissing, whispering, and sizzling. The sizzling gave way to the smells of cooking meat, baking sweats, and odd spices and candles.

My jaw dropped.

Goblins, giants, pixies, nixies, elves, nymphs, tiny floral faeries, ugly evil red caps that smelled like death and every other faerie that I had ever known (and a whole lot that I had no clue about), were all in this crowded market. Some of the giants looked sweet with moss and flowers growing on their backs while they ducked down to avoid the ceiling while the floral faeries dodged around the bigger faeries by zig zaging in the air. I heard shouts, talking, whispering, yelling, growls, and everything in-between. The elf women giggled and gawked at some of the handsome elf men with haunting eyes and double jointed fingers pointing at them.

It looked like the market sat in the innards of a tree because the walls were made of a dark wood like the color of the tree and gave the marketplace a darker look. There were shops that were odd looking. Some of them were just thick drapes against the wall. Others were of little stores and stands with odd sparkling trinkets hanging on string. Faeries were bustling about which made my head spin. Languages fell in and out of their mouths.

"Still your heart, Matty," Drake said, "there is nothing to fear when you're with me."

Yeah, this is coming from the guy who brought me to my nightmare world.

"Let's get some more alcohol while we're here, shall we?" Keeva asked. "That's what you need, Matty! A good shot and you'll be good!"

My stomach twisted tightly.

"I think I'm going to be sick," I mumbled as I put a hand over my mouth before running over to an empty corner of the tree market that looked relatively safe. I ran into something that felt like a pebble, but then I went down. Face first into the mud. I rolled over to my back and looked at what I tripped on.

"Watch where yer going!"

"I'm sorry, my good man, but she's new here." Drake explained as he flew to the man that was about his size minus the wings. The man looked like he lived in the woods with a thick brown jacket that had holes and some colorful looking patches on them. His ruffled hair and big heavy boots also gave hint to this. He carried a knife on him.

"Dude, I'm sorry, but I was kind...sick." I said, getting up slowly.

"Human?" The little man asked as he looked down and studied me. "She's ugly enough to be one."

, "And you're tiny enough to be an insect." 

Keeva jabbed me in the ribs with her elbow.

"He's about as strong as an ox," Keeva hissed under her breath.

"Yes," Drake interfered before giving me a sharp glare, "she's human."

"She born with sight? Or this girl the one I've heard so much 'bout?" I looked to see Drake smile. It's tight to the point that his lips nearly disappeared.