Chapter Twenty-Nine: Dragons Fighting Foxes

"He killed his wife!" Lowell said.

What?

"Put a goddamn sword through her just because his fucking queen ordered it." Lowell said as I shook my head. Drake loved her. He wouldn't...Drake wouldn't do that. He loved her. He loved her! I know it.

"What else has that crazy fox put inside your head?" I asked him. "That there really is gold at the end of the rainbow too?" I asked, trying to pull back from him. His grip tightened.

He looked around him. "We don't have time for this." He lifted me up and put me over his shoulder. I screamed and hit his back. I pulled on his dreadlocks and ripped the golden roses out of his hair.

"Lowell! Put me down! Dammit!" I yelled, hitting him as hard as I could. I heard him grunt. "I'm not going to leave him! Dammit, Drake!" I screamed. Lowell suddenly dropped me and I hit the water. I swam away from him, but rammed my head into something so I shot up, breaking the surface of the water.

"I'm warning you, boy, you ever touch her again and you're going to be losing a hand," Drake's voice floated over me. I looked to see Drake standing at the entrance of the cave and I saw him walk over to me.

"Keep away from her," Lowell said. "Matty, come on." Lowell looked at me and waited for a second. I shook my head. "He's dangerous Matty!"

"You're the one who just tried to kidnap her and look, her forearm is bruising already." Drake pointed and I looked at my forearm to see a red bruise. I hadn't realized he grabbed me that hard.

Lowell looked at the bruise and shook his head. "You're the bad guy here and she just can't see that."

"So kidnapping her is going to make your point come across?" Drake asked and I looked at Lowell. Lowell, maybe I should've just told him about Faeries. I'm not sure how he would've responded. I don't think it would've been great, but it has to be better than this. I stood up and tried walking to him, but Drake caught my arm. "Don't."

"Lowell."

I heard a singsong voice say and I look to see the Huli Jing sitting on a bolder, naked. I looked away. Jesus, what is it with everyone being so comfortable with being naked? I covered my own chest. I looked back at her face as she smiled at me.

"Feeling shy, aren't we?" She asked me as I gave her the middle finger. She turned to look at Lowell. "Lowell, darling, we really should get going. There's a dance and we're invading the princess's private baths if we stay here. I'd rather not annoy her. It won't help us win favor."

Lowell looked back at me. Stay. Look at me. Look at me. You're supposed to say. You're supposed to stay and I can take you back home. Let me take you back home before things get worse. Before something hurts you or-

He walked into the darkness with her.

"Have a good evening you two," Huli Jing said.

His name jumped to my mouth, but it wouldn't come out. Lowell. Lowell! That bitch!

I felt Drake's hand on my shoulder and I looked up.

"This is why I told you to stay where you were." Drake said. "We can't go after him now. The queen would find it odd."

"Who cares? He thinks I'm the one in trouble," I told him. Looking at him, I remembered what he said about Drake and his wife. "He doesn't remember how he got here and..."