Chapter Thirty-Five: Heavy Crown

What was I thinking?

Sitting in the hot bath, I remembered the puppy dog eyed look Orisin gave me and flinched internally. I leaned back in the tub. At least the elves weren't here to bathe me. I guess since they got rid of the worst of it, they figured they would let me soak in peace. How the hell was I going to get the dagger back?

You could just seduce him.

That was Orisin's helpful plan. I sunk into the water and blew bubbles into it. I don't think I could seduce him even if he wanted me. I'm not a great liar. He didn't even like me. I dunk my head under the water and screamed. Why did he even want me? Just because of my sight? Why was that the only thing faeries cared about? Even Drake only looked-

Someone grabbed me by the back of my throat and yanked me up. I coughed and my hands went to grab and scratch someone, but another hand grabbed one of my hands. 

"Matty, what are you doing?" The voice is strong, deep and pissed off.

I opened my eyes, coughing. "I'm bathing!" I yelled and Erasmus let me go.

"I thought you were drowning yourself."

"I'm a lot of things, but I'm not suicidal," I yelled and snagged the dress off the floor so I could hide my body. Erasmus sat on the edge of the bath after slipping off his heavy cloak. His shoulders sagged and he smelled like smoke. He held his head between his hands and he breathed hard. "Uh, you okay?"

He opened one eye. "Not particularly, but that's what happens when you're dealing with nobility." I put the dress down and sank back into the water. He eyed the water and he took off his shirt before kicking off his boots.

"Hey! What are you doing?"

"Getting in," he said. "You could move a little."

"And I'm getting out," I said quickly.

"We might as well get used to each other." Erasmus said and I ignored this. I resisted the urge to stick my tongue out at him.

"No we don't."

"And why's that?"

I turned my back to him and grabbed a hold of the dress. I felt exposed in this warm room and water dripping down my back.

"I just have to produce a kid and then I'd get to go home, right?" It wasn't that simple, but I was hoping.

"Yes and not produce with anyone else if you don't mind." The sarcasm in his voice made me want to punch him. 

"No shit, really? I mean that's why people get married, right?" It's still strange to think that once upon a time I wanted to marry this man. I used to lay back in the grass out in my backyard, staring up at the clouds and daydreamed about it. I would laugh and giggle at the images dancing in my head where I'm wearing a white wedding dress.

"Yes."

Erasmus slipped into the hot tub and he looked at me. He gave my body a once over and I quickly threw the dress back on. The memory of Rose sitting on my sofa popped into my mind. She held a large glass of vodka and the glaze of alcohol colored her cheeks. Her eyes watered slightly and she stared me down.

"Did it ever both you?" I asked as a I ran a hand through my hair. There knots stopped my fingers and I had to untangle the knots as I did. The dress felt soaked and became another layer of skin.