Chapter Thirty-Seven: Dancing Dragons

Erasmus's eyes grew wide. The wound wasn't deep, but the way his eyes widened told me it still hurt like a bitch.

Erasmus rolled off of me. I let out a scream, "Someone help!" I got up to my feet, grabbing his cloak as I go the top on the dress. Footsteps rumbled and I went out the window. For a second, I sucked in a deep breath and stepped forward. Run straight and I should be fine.

I ran. Blood pumped through my legs as my lungs burned for air. I forgot all the little aches and pains of healing as I ran and I almost laughed with the familiarity of it all. My arms pumped through the air. Fist clenched tightly. Moonlight glinted off the blade. Blood soaked through two third's of it and gave it an red tin. There should be noise or something, but the only thing I could hear was the wind. Eyes blurred and I tried to imagine the ground beneath my feet. If I could see it-

I saw the door and grabbed the handle. Lungs burned and mucus built up in the back of my throat. I spat out a wide before ripping the door open.

The Huli Jing grinned and I stepped back before a ball of fire could hit me.

"Now what is the bitch doing out so late?" I said. 

The door opened behind the Huli Jing and saw Lowell. 

"Don't hurt her!"

 His eyes grew and a hand reached out to me. Run. Don't stand there like a damn fucking fool. The Huli Jing caught the blade and her smirk twisted into a scowl.

"What did you do?" She said as she lounged forward. She stumbled and tripped. For a second, I thought she might fall through the air, but she threw her weight back and landed on her other foot.

She didn't know how wide this magical bridge was.

"What did you do?" She shot another ball of fire, but the fire caught something and this time is started to grow. Can magic be flammable? I held out the dagger.

"Lowell, get the hell out of here!"

I saw Orisin suddenly and he grabbed onto his arm.

"Get Aine and get the fuck out of here!" I yelled as another smaller ball of fire was thrown at me. I dodged and  threw the dagger at Orisin. The dagger landed right behind the Huli Jing. She turned and fire burst from her hand, but instead of engulfing the two, the fire went around Orisin. The fire circled as it grew smaller and smaller. Orisin glared at her. She screamed, but turned her head to me when she heard something. 

 I paid close attention to maybe how wide it was. There was a small fire growing behind me.

"I'll go after him once I'm done with you." She hissed as she walked around me. Orisin looked helplessly at me before grabbing Lowell and dragging him away.

 I kept thinking about lions. Lions going around prey. Circle, circling. Her hands caught fire and bits of fire trailed behind her kimono. Ah hell.

"What did you do?" She eyed the blood on me. "What did you do to him?" The tone in her voice suggested reverence to Erasmus and I almost gawked at her. She lounged out and tried to grab me, but I went under her arm. She twirled around like a ballerina. "I'm going to rip you apart and offer your head to him."

"Doesn't mean he's going to care about you," I said and dodged another grab. The fire was growing and cutting off a route to escape. At least it meant that no guards were going to be coming up behind me. A sharp memory of a angry blue horse came to mind.