thirty four

Eve's POV

I hated her.

My Mother, the women who was supposed to love me, who was supposed to encourage and praise me and always be there for me, was, to be completely honest, one of the most horrible people I had ever come to know. It was vile the way she treated Liam and I, and resembled in no way how a Mother should treat her children. I thought she would've been a little more respectful when speaking to me at the dinner table, considering Liam was finally home and had only been here for a week, Dad was protective, and Sophia was our guest.

Mum had unfortunately gotten a hold of my grades from the duration of the year. I knew that they were slipping, and the only reason why they were was because of how much I had been working lately. I tried to take every available shift I could at restaurant, I needed the money, I needed it for college and to save for a possible new place so that I could get away from her, the woman who was supposed to love me.

It was astounding the way she called me out on it, she had no nerve to speak her mind whatsoever, disregarding how embarrassed or hurt I would feel once she had attacked me. She talked as if I wasn't in the room, telling everyone how that if I didn't work as much as I did my grades would be acceptable enough for her liking. I then proceeded to tell her that the only reason I was working so much was to save up for a new place to live, so I wouldn't have to hear her voice anymore.

She was absolutely livid, and I made sure I slammed my cutlery against my plate before storming out the house, ignoring everyone's concerned shouts for me to come back.

My head was set on driving to Niall's and crashing at his place for the night, but my heart was aching to see the man that I knew would be able to comfort me in a way no one else could. I was unsure if I should've called Harry before I made up my mind to stop by, but I guess that was irrelevant now seeing as I was already parked in his driveway.

I didn't know why I was so nervous as I walked up the path to his front door. It still kind of baffled me that Harry and I were actually together, and that he had seen me in far worse states than what I was in tonight. He was my boyfriend, and all I really wanted to do was climb into bed with him and let him kiss away the pain, with his arms wrapped around me and his legs tangled with mine.

"Eve," he smiled, opening the door, "What are you doing here?"

I blew out a breath of humiliation, tugging at my lower lip with my teeth, "Can I, um, stay here tonight?"

His face slackened from my words, eyebrows scrunching together whilst he tried to figure out what must've happened for me to show up on his doorstep, with nothing but my phone in my pocket and my car keys hanging loosely from my hands.

"Yeah," he breathed, nodding his head, "Yes, yes of course, come in."

I stepped into the familiar warmth of his home, everything in the room somehow reminding me of the past times we had been together. It was somewhat of a nostalgic comfort to me, and as the memories flitted back to my mind, I was already starting to feel a little better.

"Do you want to tell me what happened?" He asked gently, the heat from his hand guiding me to the couch searing through my shirt and onto my lower back.

I let out a bitter laugh, trying to hold back the tears, "My mum happened, that's what."

I couldn't help but feel that Harry was a little distant. He had made sure to leave plenty of space between us on the couch, and he had not once tried to kiss me since I had walked through that door. It was very unlike him to not be so hands on, I at least expected a hug, or any other type of physical contact besides his hand leading me down to sit.