Someone to Care for (Child!Connor x Reader)

Cover artwork by Yupingsan

Hi everyone! Sorry I have been away for so long. I have been working a lot on my new fanfic 'The Forgotten Android', which is another Connor x Reader story, set over 500 years after the bad ending of the original game. If this sounds intriguing to you, I would really appreciate it if you could check it out!

Anyway, when I am inspired, I'm still going to write one shots here, such as this one. Thanks for always reading and being so supportive, and I hope you enjoy this one too! :)

Synopsis: On your way home from work one day, you find a child android left alone in a box in an alley. You decide to take the android home and take care of him as your own child.

As always, this has female pronouns.

WARNING: References to child abuse

Word Count: 4043

---

It had been a long day a work, as always. It always felt like the days dragged on, when I spent more time at the office arguing with Lieutenant Anderson, than actually going out and tracking down the deviant androids as I was supposed to. In any case, it was still a job, and it helped me to pay the bills.

I walked slowly through the crowds on the main street of Detroit, too tired to fight back as I was pushed around through the current of people. I considered menial things; what I might eat for dinner, or what television show I would watch while I ate. I looked towards the sky, and thought about the dark clouds, and how it looked like a storm was coming.

Due to the dark clouds, I decided to turn off my usual street, and walk through a more abandoned area of town. The streets were darker, and I knew it would take longer to get home this way, but at least no one would be there to shove me along my path.

I finally allowed myself to relax, taking in the old abandoned buildings and factories. I wondered what kinds of people used to work in those places, and what their lives were like. I let your mind wander into those thoughts, thinking of my own dreams of having a family, that would make my small apartment truly feel like a home.

Without warning, rain began to fall from the sky, first in large fat drops, then in a constant harsh down pour. I groaned as my uniform, my dark blue almost black coat and black skirt quickly became drenched. I darted into a nearby alley, leaning against the wall to keep out of the rain. I sighed, realizing that I would be home late, and I would have to wash my rain soaked clothes.

As the sky darkened with the rain, I began to notice a light cast over the brick walls of the alley. It was a red light, dim, but from somewhere near by. I moved towards the light, curious of it's origins. I soon found a small cardboard box, already damp from the rain. Through the cloth over the top of it, I could see a small red light being emitted. I moved closer, gently removing the blanket. What I found inside startled me completely.

It was an android; the red LED proved that. However, I had never seen an android child such as this.

The android boy looked to be in human years, only about 6 years old. He... 'it', was breathing heavily, it's face contorted in pain. The only clothes it wore was a crumpled grey jacket, and a white dress shirt underneath. The android was soaked with rain, and I wondered if it was damaged in any way. Why would someone leave an android in an alley like this?

When the android noticed me, he began to look with curiosity, and slight apprehension. Even though it was an android, I could not leave it in this dark alley in the rain like this. I took off my dark coat, and wrapped it around the child-like android, pulling it to my chest. As if on instinct, the android wrapped it's small hands around me and clung on. I would take it home, get it out of the rain. Perhaps then, I would be able to figure out what to do with it.