iii. Fear and Terror

Chapter ThreeFear and Terror

Chapter Three
Fear and Terror

★★★★

Diana gazed across the files on her lap and divided them between herself and Peggy. She opened the first one and came across Steve Roger's personnel file. Before getting the chance to read it, she heard the sound of the recruits approaching the halfway point of their run.

"Pick up the pace, sweeties. Let's go, let's go. Double time. Come on, faster, faster. Move. Move. Squad halt. That flag means you're only at the halfway point. The first man to bring it to me, gets to ride back with Lieutenant Prince and Agent Carter," The leading trainer said to the group of recruits. Diana turned in her seat in the back of the military Jeep to see the soldiers struggle to attain the flag. "Move, move! Come on, get up there. That's what you got? This army is in trouble. Get up there, Hodge. Come on, get up there. Nobody's got that flag in seventeen years. Come on, come on, fall in. Let's go, get back information."

Diana sighed and turned back in her seat to refocus on her paperwork. "Rogers! I said, fall in."

The name of the man drew Diana's attention back. To everyone's astonishment, Steve Rogers walked towards the white pole that held the flag and undid the screws that held it together. Slowly but surely, the pole came to the floor and Steve walked towards the end and picked up the dirty, brown flag.

He walked towards the Jeep and handed it to the leading officer, "Thank you, Sir."

Steve climbed into the jeep and took the empty seat beside Diana. He smiled at her, "Ma'am."

Diana smiled at his greeting. "Smart move back there."

"There's always another way around a tough situation. Most people just fail to realize that," Steve shrugged as the car's ignition started.

"Someone's been listening to their Lieutenant," Peggy stated from the front seat of the car. Steve blushed at her words and avoided Diana's gaze. The Amazon smiled at the thin blonde man in appreciation.

After the group arrived back at camp, Diana had the men line up and begin conditioning. First, they began to push-ups.

"Faster! Great Hera. Grandmothers have more life than you! Move it!" Diana said to them as the men did the same up-down motion. Her gaze flickered towards the back and saw Steve attempt to lift himself and fall to the floor. Hera give him strength, Diana silently prayed. She knew he only needed to keep working harder before he was officially chosen to take part in Project Rebirth.

From the corner of her eye, Diana could see Dr. Erksine and Colonel Phillips walking alongside one another. And Diana couldn't help but listen in to their conversation. Her heart clench when she heard the words spoken about Steve. Colonel Phillips didn't believe he was the one.