iv. Promises

Chapter FourPromises

Chapter Four
Promises

★★★★

"Diana, are you sure you're alright?" Peggy asked the Amazon when the two were seated in the car. Diana, who had been staring ahead lost in thought, snapped to look at her and asked, "Come again?"

"I️ asked if you were alright," Peggy restated and turned to her. Diana shifted in her seat between Peggy and Steve and nodded slowly, "Yeah, Yeah. Just dozing off."

Steve gave the woman a worried look. After he realized he didn't particularly have the courage to ask her what had her so tired and driven in thought, he returned to gazing out the window.

"I know this neighborhood. I got beat up in that alley. And that parking lot. And behind that diner," Steve said which attracted the two women's attention.

"Did you have something against running away?" Peggy asked him curiously. Diana looked at the boy in confusion upon his statements. Why would he be beat up so much? Did people really care to hurt him so much? Diana thought.

"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back. You can't say no forever, right," Steve replied to her. Diana took in his words and nodded.

"We know a little of what that is like. To have every door shut in your face," Peggy stated and motioned between her and Diana.

"Being a woman in a world dominated by men has always been difficult. Not because they believe themselves to be above us, but simply because it is like arguing with a brick wall," Diana added with a smirk. Peggy nodded in agreement.

"I guess I just don't know why you would want to join the army. You're a beautiful dame. Beauti- oh a woman. I mean- a Lieutenant, not a dame. But you are beautiful," Steve stammered as Diana smiled in amusement. Peggy's eyes widened at their interaction, but couldn't help but smile at how Diana reacted.

"Do you always get this nervous when talking to a woman?"

"I suppose. Haven't had much experience. I think this is the longest conversation I've had with a woman. They're not exactly lining up to dance with a guy that might step on them," Steve said and looked down to his hands.

"You must have danced," Diana suggested with a hopeful gaze.

"Well, asking a woman to dance always seems so terrifying. And the past few years just... Didn't seem to matter that much. Figured I'd wait."