x. Gone

Chapter TenGone

Chapter Ten
Gone

★★★★

From the day Diana made her promise to Steve, the two had been inseparable. Not only were they known as a couple, but they were the perfect fighting duo; always having each other's backs, always being there to support one another. Together, with the help of the Howling Commandos, their rag-tag group of soldiers, they had managed to take over every Hydra base they targeted.

Diana had become a war hero again and yet a name had not been given to her yet. She was still known as Princess Diana of Themyscira, and frankly, she didn't have a problem with it. All she truly cared about what putting an end to the war she was at fault for. A war started to get revenge on her.

Since the day, Deimos and Phobos had introduced themselves to Diana, she had not seen their faces. However, she knew they were orchestrating Hydra and influencing the decisions made by Johann Schmidt, who now called himself the Red Skull. Diana had opened up to Steve about her ties to them and he promised to help stop them- no mater the cost.

Dozens of camps were gone, all destroyed, after Diana, Steve, and their team invaded. The group became legends across the Allied forces side. There was not a man or woman who did not know their names.

Diana smiled at everything she and her men had achieved while the cold air nipped at her skin.

"Are you really not cold in that?" Bucky asked, breaking the Amazon from her thoughts.

Diana rolled her eyes at his comment and replied, "I am really not cold, Bucky."

Bucky gave her a look of disbelief and stared ahead over the cliff. Since the two had met, Bucky and Diana became fast friends. Steve was extremely happy to see his best friend and his girlfriend getting along. Diana stood to Steve's left as they stared at the snowy mountains.

Bucky glanced at Steve, who stood to his left and asked, "Remember when I made you ride the Cyclone on Coney Island?"

Steve spared him a glance and said, "Yeah, and I threw up."

"This isn't pay back, is it?"

"Now why would I do that?" Steve said with a small smirk across his lips. Diana's gaze flickered between the two best friends and she couldn't help but quietly laugh at their banter.

"We were right, Doctor Zola is on the train. Hydra dispatcher gave him permission to open up the throttle. Wherever he's going, they must need him bad," Gabe said as he held the headset to his ear and listened to the radio they had taken from a Hydra base.

"Let's get going because they're moving like the devil," Jim said and lowered his binoculars.

The Howling Commandos picked up their utilities and readied themselves to zip line down to the train that was heading this way.

Steve hooked his zip-lining device onto the rope and yelled, "We only got about a ten second window. You miss that, window. We're bugs on a windshield."

"Mind the gap."

"Gotta get moving, bugs," Dum Dum said with a smirk.

"Maintenant!" Jacques signaled Steve. Steve kicked off the ground and slid down the rope. Diana took off into the air beside him and followed him as he landed on the roof of the train. Diana turned and saw Bucky and Gabe not far behind them.

Gabe stationed himself on the roof of the train, while Bucky, Diana, and Steve entered a cargo cart. Bucky closed the door of the cart behind him and stayed a little ways behind Diana and Steve as they travelled to examine the car in front.

The trio turned in surprise when the doors closed behind them, separating their group. Bucky was left alone in one cart while Steve and Diana were in another.

Diana's eyes widened when a robot appeared and shot a ray of energy at them. Diana shoved Steve out of the way and was hit in his place.

"Diana!" Steve cried as she hit the back wall of the cart and slid to the ground. He turned to the robot in anger and proceeded to attack it.

In turn, the robot took aim for Diana and hit her again, before Steve managed to dismantle the machine. Steve rushed to Diana's side and attempted to wake her, but realized she had been knocked unconscious. "Diana."

Her eyes slowly fluttered open, yet they remained heavy. "Go, I-I'm okay."

"I'll be right back," Steve said and placed a kiss on her head. Diana lazily nodded and groaned in pain when she felt the sting of her wound across her abdomen.

Steve breathed in deeply and left to help Bucky. Together, the two managed to take out the Hydra soldier that had been firing at him.

"I had him on the ropes," Bucky said, referencing the same words Steve used to say to him. Steve laughed and said, "I know you did."

Steve turned to see the robot that had wounded Diana reappear. His eyes widened and he lifted up his shield, "Get down!"

The robot had managed to knock down Steve and then it retook aim for Bucky. Steve watched in shock when he was blasted out of the train. He picked his shield up from the floor and forcibly hit the machine, before he rushed to the aid of his friend. Bucky held on to the railing of the wall as the train travelled at an accelerated speed.

"Take my hand!" Steve yelled at Bucky, as he attempted to reach for his best friend. Bucky's eyes met his and as he tried to reach for Steve, he slipped and fell. Steve cried out for his best friend as he fell between the snowy mountains and was lost forever.

Steve climbed back inside the train and placed a hand over his chest as it ached. He remembered Diana and gathered the strength to return to her side. Steve knelt beside her and brought her into his arms.

"Steve? Wh-what happened?" She asked and managed to open her eyes completely. She blinked to clear her vision and noticed Bucky wasn't anywhere in sight. "Where's Bucky?"

Diana finally looked at his face and noticed tears falling, while he did his best to hold back a sob. Her eyes softened and her heart silently broke as she realized what had happened. Diana wrapped her arms around Steve and caressed his head as he began to sob into her shoulder. "Oh, Steve," she said, while her eyes swelled with tears.

"H-he's gone. He's... gone," Steve choked as Diana held him in her arms. Diana blinked back tears at the thought of Bucky. Steve's bet friend was gone. Her best friend was gone.

"I'm so sorry, my love," Diana said as she tightened her hold on Steve and hoped that the tightness of her embrace would somehow mend his broken heart. "I am so, so sorry."