xi. The Kid from Brooklyn

Chapter ElevenThe Kid from Brooklyn

Chapter Eleven
The Kid from Brooklyn

★★★★

After the death of Bucky, Steve had distanced himself from Diana and from the Howling Commandos. The day they returned, he had given his mission statement and left without another word. This left Diana to finishing the mission report herself, despite the tears that clouded her eyes.

Once she had finished, she excused herself from Peggy, who had been helping her, and went to locate Steve. She eventually found him in the tavern where she and Steve had had their first dance.

She crossed the broken chairs and tables and walked over the shards of glass to find Steve at the same table where Bucky and him had once been.

Steve glanced over his shoulder and saw Diana. He turned back and reached for the bottle of alcohol he had to refill his glass. "Doctor Erskine said that the serum wouldn't just affect my muscles. It would affect my cells. Create a protective system of regeneration and healing. Which means, um... I can't get drunk. Did he tell you that?"

Diana sighed and walked towards Steve to take the seat beside him. She slowly nodded and said, "He said your metabolism burns four times faster than the average person. He thought it could be one of the side effects."

Steve didn't reply and breathed in deeply. Diana bit her lip as she examined his red eyes and broken expression. She reached out and placed her hand over his, "Steve, it wasn't your fault."

"Yes it was, Diana."

"You did everything you could," She said in response. Steve refused to meet her eyes, knowing he would break when he saw them. He knew she was as broken as he was. Bucky had been her friend too.

"Did you believe in him? In Bucky?" Diana asked Steve, hoping he would look at her. Steve quickly glanced at her and remained silent. "Well, he believed in you. So stop blaming yourself. Allow him the dignity of his choice. He damn well thought you were worth it."

"How can you still believe in me?" Steve asked as closed his eyes. Diana raised her hand and caressed the side of his face, "Because you're worth it."

"I'm going after Schmidt. I'm not going to stop until all of Hydra is dead, or captured," Steve said to her as he slowly calmed down at her touch.

Diana nodded and added, "Then, you won't be alone. After all, we made a deal. And a deal is a promise, and a promise is-"

"Unbreakable," Steve interrupted her. Diana smiled when he lifted his head up to met her eyes. Steve couldn't help but thank the god in the sky for the woman before him. She was his strength, and he was hers.