Chapter VI - Ice Face's Kiss (Revised)

"No sluggishness and excuses allowed! Sit straight on the horse!" barked Ice Face.

The training continued for an hour. The tranquil night was marred by Ice Face's scolding. He was a horrible mentor. One word -- horrible. He didn't allow me any rest at the interval. It wasn't until I almost fell from the horseback out of exhaustion and drowsiness that he dismissed me. He didn't even ask me how I felt. Once I reached my tent, I plopped down on my bed without even changing my clothes. My limbs were sore and I had to sleep like a bent magnet. Whenever I turned my body, my spine squeaked.

"Even a five-year-old can ride better than you!" His rigid voice echoed around my mind.

He didn't give up in torturing me even after I'd slept. He must've possessed a kind of magic that enabled him to conjure Nightmare, his ally, to attack me. My bed rocked and I returned to the grassland where we had horse training just now. His stern and irritating voice reverberated in the air, "Keep left... Steer further to the right... Pull back a bit..." Irked by his treatment, I pulled the rein too harsh. My horse reared up, attempting to throw me. Adeptly, Ice Face galloped towards me and pulled me to sit with him on his horse. 

"What would I do if anything bad happens to you?" His tone was suddenly laced with concern.

The impulse was too abrupt. The eerie neighing of the horses when we almost collided into one another woke me up. Sweat drenched my body, and I felt nauseated due to the aftershock. No, I couldn't let Ice Face teach me horse riding anymore. I couldn't stay near to a bomb which I didn't know when it would explode. He looked impish when he joked with Die Hard Thirteen, but he turned to a monster that couldn't wait to eat me if I made a single mistake. I couldn't read the emotion on his face, and that made his horribleness magnify a hundredfold.

"Why would you torment me like this? You're driving me crazy," I slurred on my bed.

The next day, I stood on a small hill, watching the princes as they practiced archery. 

I smirked as I saw Ice Face keep hitting the rim of the bull's eye. 

When the Crowned Prince took over the bow, he aimed the target for two seconds before letting the arrow fly. I gasped in astonishment as the arrow hit the center of the bull's eye. The emperor was delighted and complimented him. The First Prince wanted to show off his talent. I was surprised to see the arrow he let fly pierce the red spot, next to the Crowned Prince's. He immersed in his euphoria but no one cheered for him, not even the emperor. 

The First Prince's smile was lopsided. He coughed to cover his shame and said, "Why don't you play a few rounds too, Thirteenth Brother? Let us see your amazing archery talent."

"I am afraid that I am not in a good condition to play. The wind was too strong and it blew some sand into my eyes." Die Hard Thirteen apologized in a smug way before excusing himself.

He hiked up the hill and walked towards me. A wave of anger washed over me. I scolded him for not holding to his promise and pestered him to show up tonight no matter how. He agreed halfheartedly. Ice Face kept looking over our direction as we talked, but I ignored him.

It was advisable to keep some distance from him. When my chores were settled, I returned to my tent to prepare for my practice. I couldn't wait for the night to come. I bolted to the grassland with wind under my feet but when I saw Ice Face again, my heart sank to the core of the Earth.

He stared at me with an expression that I had never seen him wear on his face before.

I became alert and uncomfortably aware of his presence. "Ruo Xi still has a lot of chores to handle tomorrow. Ruo Xi apologizes but Ruo Xi must retire to the tent."