thirty one | competition

I stay on top of Elijah, and I keep him in my arms for a really long time. Neither of us say anything.

I start laughing all of a sudden. "What?" Elijah asks, still not letting me go.

"I don't know how I'm going to get out of this position," I state.

I lean back and Elijah looks up into my eyes with a smile. God, that smile gets me every time.

"I don't mind staying like this forever," he informs me.

"Stop," I whisper and close my eyes. "We can't."

I am going to kill him. I have to. There is no way I am going to let Antonio torture him. Nobody deserves to feel that kind of pain.

He tortured me once before, when I refused to kill a little girl. She stole from someone important, but I couldn't kill her. She was just a child.

When I refused—and attempted to backstop him—he made me pay for it.

He tied me up and shoved screws into my back. No hammer, he just twisted and twisted until about thirty screws were inside me.

That was just his warning. He told me to never question or defy him again.

I didn't, until now.

Who knows what he would do to Elijah. I don't want to imagine it. I don't want to think about it. I won't let it happen.

"Why not?" Elijah asks. "You really think we can be 'just friends'?"

I take his face into my hands. "We have to. Things have changed and you have to trust me when I say that I'm not ready. Nothing more can happen between us. Please." Because otherwise it'll kill me, too.

He looks a little hurt, but he nods. "Okay, if that's what you want."

"It is." We go silent for a moment. "Um, Elijah," I say slowly, staring it is shoulder.

"Yeah...?"

"There's a cockroach on your shoulder," I tell him.

"What?" he shouts and falls backwards. I scream and fall forward, right on top of him. We both burst out laughing.

I shout out in pain when the swing comes back and hits the back of my head. I quickly lean down so it doesn't hit me again.

Elijah stops laughing and glances down at my lips, which are now inches away from his.

He is about to say something, when a voice interrupts us. "Elijah, what are you doing in the dirt?"

We both look up to find a beautiful girl with light blue hair that matches her eyes.

Elijah and I get up quickly and dust ourselves off, and for some reason I can't seem to wipe the smile off my face.

Probably because all I can picture is Elijah's horrified face when he thought a little cockroach was on him.

"Um, hey, Ella," Elijah greets.

She dusts his shirt and then pulls him into a hug. "Are you free later?" she whispers in his ear, but she isn't very good at whispering.

"Um, no, I'm sorry. I'm busy," he says, stepping away from her.

"Tomorrow?" she offers.

He glances at me and then back at the girl. "I'll text you, okay?" he says.

She smiles. "Yeah, see you," she greets before walking off, back to a little kid.

"Who is she?" I ask, still looking at her.

"Um, a friend," he says and shrugs.

"A friend?"

"Yeah, we hook up sometimes. It's nothing, really. I'll end it without hesitation, if you want me to. All you have to do is admit you want a piece of this." He motions to his body.

I scoff and roll my eyes. "Can we leave?"

Two weeks, Bree. Just two weeks and two days.

He throws an arm over my shoulder and we start walking back to the car. Clearly there isn't much to do at the park. It used to seem like there were endless possibilities, but now it's just grass and a few old swings.

We climb in the car and Elijah drives off. After ten minutes, we pull into the parking lot of a supermarket. "What are we doing here?" I ask.

Elijah turns to me and grins. "Were gonna make brownies."

"Can we make pot brownies? I've always wanted to do that," I say excitedly.

"Wanna make it a competition?"

"As long as you're okay with losing," I agree.

"Okay, we will have three rounds. First round will be whoever gets the normal ingredients first wins. Second round is whoever gets the weed first wins. Third is whoever makes the brownies the fastest wins," Elijah explains.

I nod and he is about to climb out the car when I grab his wrist and pull him back. "Wait, what does the winner get?" I ask.

He smirks. "Winner gets one thing that they really want. It can be absolutely anything and the loser has to agree, no questions asked."

I run out the car in a flash, leaving the passenger door open because I know there is no way Elijah will not go and close it. He would never leave his car open.

That'll give me a head start.

"Playing dirty?" Elijah shouts to me. "You're on!"

•<•>•

This chapter makes me happy :). Hope you guys like it.

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylaawrites
Y o u t u b e : xThePineappleGirlx

Lots of love and jelly tots - xThePineappleGirlx