two! ⋆ MIDDLE SCHOOL DWEEBS

( songs for the chapter )⋆ penny lane // the beatles⋆ stranger things // st soundtrack⋆ kids // st soundtrack

⋆ penny lane // the beatles
⋆ stranger things // st soundtrack
⋆ kids // st soundtrack

( songs for the chapter )⋆ penny lane // the beatles⋆ stranger things // st soundtrack⋆ kids // st soundtrack

A PLATE OF EGGOS WAS WAITING for Kate when she got up the next morning. That had always been Jim's way of apologising, without actually having to say it. A normal parent would probably make a home cooked meal for their kid, but Kate's father was anything but normal. He just put a few Eggos in the toaster and figured that would fix all of his fuckups. But it was better than nothing, and Kate found herself smiling at the small gesture.

She only took one from the plate, though; not being particularly hungry herself and knowing her dad wouldn't have time to eat before he had to leave for work. After drenching the waffle in syrup and downing it in a few quick bites, she quickly woke Jim before leaving for school.

The morning was oddly peaceful and Kate weirdly wasn't dreading the rest of the day like she normally would. The sun was out, though partially hidden behind an abundance of rain clouds – which had always been her favourite type of weather. She smiled lightly as she turned up the volume in her car. Penny Lane played from the radio and she sang loudly, her fingers tapping against the leather steering wheel.

Kate arrived at Hawkins High and parked in her designated spot, the one just across the road from Steve. She got her bag from the passenger seat before getting out to greet her group of friends.

"There's our favourite girl!" Carol exclaimed, a little too loudly for so early in the morning. She smiled as she smacked some bubblegum between her teeth.

Kate rolled her eyes but smiled despite herself. "Fuck off, Carol."

She hopped on the hood of the car next to Steve as Tommy came to her side, a cigarette between his fingers. She pushed his hand away lightly. "You know I don't smoke."

"There's a first time for everything, Katie," the dark-haired boy smirked, punctuating his sentence with a wink.

Catherine and Steve sat in silence for a few moments. He was waiting for Carol and Tommy to get into their own conversation, before starting his own. "Are you and your dad... alright, now?"