151 - Violation of Contract

The blood... trickles.

My back begins to throb with pain, though filled as blood gushes to my head as I realize what is happening.

I'm... being killed?

"Why?!"

I try to get to my feet, but as I do I feel the body weight of the guards on each of my shoulders, forcing me back down on my knees. They grip my hands and violently wrench my arms behind my back.

"Do your magic and we've been ordered to cut your throat."

My eyes dart back to the king and Alstair, and find their eyes cold and emotionless.

Gil... Gil's masked has fallen. The shock of the supposedly all-knowing spymaster is laid bare as he looks frantically between Alstair and I.

Why... Why is the villain acting as though he understands nothing?

"Why are you doing this? What have I done to deserve this?!

I roar across the room, while pulling and shoving against the hands holding me down to get a feeling of their strength.

Why have I been betrayed this time? I've been good and done well for the army and the crown! I've been loyal and convinced others to be loyal as well!

"You have committed no crime to be punished for. You will die here for the future of the kingdom."

Alstair watches me calmly as he says merely those words without any further explanation, as though those words should be enough to put me at ease. There's not a drop of sympathy in his eyes.

"Why?! Why are you doing this? Why do you dishonor me here instead of sending me to die on the battlefield?"

My voice cracks partway. I don't understand... why? It would have been worth more to keep me alive, since they clearly intend to fight, and there would have been no questions from House-

How are they going to excuse this to Eric? Are they... no... no they wouldn't.

I gasp for air as my head starts spinning faster.

"Your existence is a false hope to the peasants that they can get out of the war peacefully. Thus, the Hero, Child of Scorog, was killed by a Headal noble during the talks between him and the crown about giving him taking the throne. It is a great tragedy, and we will fight the evil enemy that took from us the great Hero, Augustus Celeste."

I... I am a noble. Certainly a chess piece to my lord... but this. This is just...

Too much... I am to be a false martyr for a war that could have been prevented?

You break the contract and execute me... and then lie about my death?

...you... you dishonorable scum.

You corrupt and defiled, putrid disappointment of royalty!

He looks to the line of foreign nobles pallid at the stands. All too terrified to move. The nobleman from Headal is grabbed by the guards by his sides and roughly drag him down the stairs to my side.

The pressure on one shoulder lifts, but instead my head is forced down. They pull the nobleman behind me where they move out of my sight.

I need to move.

I cannot.

When I try to push forward with my legs and curl out of the hold, the guard instead grips my hair tightly and pull my head back... letting my eyes meet with Alstair's and the King's once more.