24

Evan's POV:

The moment I left the school I was on a mission to find Lexi and, for lack of a better word, expose Katie.

I've had no luck so far and it's been an hour and a half.

I checked the parking lot of the school as most students were getting into their cars and headed home, but she was no where to be found. I just came home, hoping her car would be in the driveway, but again I have no luck.

Now I'm sitting on my front steps, dialing her number for the sixth time today. Why won't she answer?

"Pick up the phone, Lex." I mutter to myself as I'm sent to voicemail again.

From the corner of my eye I see a car pull into the neighbors driveway, Lexi's mom.

She gets out, paying me no attention. It's probably a bit weird and inappropriate if I ask about her daughter's whereabouts, but I don't care at this point.

"Amy!" I shout.

She looks across to me and I see her smile from where I sit, "Evan! Hi!"

"Sorry to bother you, but do you have any idea where Lexi might be? I have some school stuff I need to talk to her about." I lie. I'm not even her teacher... what could I possibly need to speak with her about?

"Oh, is she in some trouble?" Amy asks, looking worried.

"No, no. Nothing like that." I smile, brushing it off.

"Okay, good." She sighs. "I haven't seen her since this morning, she said she and Katie had some plans after school." She informs me.

Fuck.

"Alright, I'll keep an eye out for her." I smile, getting up and going back into my house.

I slam the front door and scream, "shit!"

I lean my head against the wall, only able to think about what Katie is going to do next. How can someone do that? Pretend to be someone's best friend, let others confide in them... then go stab them in the back?

Lexi told me how close she and Katie were. I am genuinely mindblown that Katie is capable of doing such things to Lexi, but if I'm being honest I never liked Katie anyway.

I need to find Lexi, and it needs to be soon.

Lexi's POV:

"Have you talked to your parents anymore about moving out?" I ask Katie as I shovel a bite of food into my mouth.

She nods, looking excited. "They're helping me get that apartment that's near my campus. It's gonna be fun." She says.

"Helping you? Or paying rent for you? Are you seriously going to get a job?" I tease, knowing the girl all too well. She's never really worked a day in her life.

"Shut up, Lexi." She groans, getting defensive.

I roll my eyes and brush her comment off.

"What about you?" She questions. "Planning to move away or just commute?"

"I think I'll hang around a while." I grin to myself, knowing my reasons.

"Mm, sex must be damn good." Katie taunts.

I snap my head up and my eyes widen. Did she just- "Sex?"

"Come on, Lexi. You don't have to keep secrets from me." Katie presses.

I shake my head, "I really don't know what you mean."

"Lexi... you are closer with your neighbor than anyone should be. Not to mention that she's no longer wearing her wedding ring, and I caught you two making out at your house that time. Give it up!"